Texas Starfish Back From France

bone2stone

A few years ago a friend of mine told me he had found a crinoid or something...stuck on some red ironstone.

What he had found turned out to be one of the finest fossil starfish I have ever seen.

Knowing that there had not any been found in the Britton Member of the Eagleford

or any of the Eagleford as far as that goes.

I was given the honor of temporiarily giving it a name by Steve, my friend who found it.

I dubbed it Coppellaster Adamsi.

As it turns out it had been identified from some "fragments" found in France.

It made a trip to Illinois first then went to France for further detailed identification!

It had been previously identified as Comptonaster, "from fragments mind you".

The specimen has been ccompletely removed from the matrix, it was found on, so bottom could be observed.

It since has made it's way home and has the distinction of being the best!

Considering the complete nature of the specimen, the Adamsi stuck!

(Coppellaster) Comptonaster Adamsi.

It's home is now back in Texas, where it belongs!!!!!!

Found: Coppell Texas

Deposit: Eagleford formation/Britton member

Congratulations Steve nice to have a friend with that distinction.

Bone2stone

post-9194-0-20427500-1344456845_thumb.jpg

Edited by bone2stone

That's a cool little satrfish.

Ramo

Is "adamsi" the official name? I've always thought that the first name given had priority over any new names to come along. I know with the big Cope/Marsh race to name new species, many were named from only fragments of fossils. They also made a lot of names for things that were allready named, and the new name was always thrown out I thought.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

If the French fragments had only been assigned a Generic name, and not a full bi-nomial, then there would be no conflict of precedence.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the replys gals and guys.

As for the naming rights on a fossil I personally think that if fragments are all you have well.........

It did take them over four years to make that determination.

I personally dissagree with them but I am far from being an expert on the subject or echinoidea.

The span of area between France and Texas that is certainly a broad distance for two of the same

species to be distributed.

It does happen to be sure to find a species of marine fauna on two different continents.

Bone2stone

What a beautiful specimen. And at 10 cm it's a monster!

I'm not clear if it is going to be the type specimen of a new species (Comptonaster adamsi)? If so, do you have any idea of when and where the paper was or will be published? It sounds as if the specimen was returned to your friend, but type specimens are (or should be) curated into museum collections where they can be available to future researchers, which is why I'm confused as to whether or not a new species will actually be described from this specimen. And, there isn't any big problem describing such specimens from individual ossicles or from fragmentary specimens, as long as such specimens show features that distinguish the new species from all previously described ones. Of course, the more complete the specimen the more complete the description can be. When it comes to vertebrates the situation is often different, as hundreds of names can be proposed for each of the hundreds of bones in the skeleton, which generates a real mess that can only be sorted out when complete (or largely so) skeletons are discovered.

When it comes to the distance between France and Texas, remember that the Atlantic had barely started to open when the Britton Member was deposited; both sites were much closer together, on the Tethys seaway. All (or almost all) of the Britton ammonites, for example, can also be found in France and elsewhere in the Tethyan province. As far as I know, though, there is no overlap in the decapod fauna, so different fossil groups ranged from cosmopolitan to very local in their distribution; so who knows which one applies to the asteroidia.

Don

I am waiting for a reply from Steve as to it's present location, but I know it's back here in Texas.

I will try to get the researchers papers on their description.

He has a perfect replica in his display case not the real deal. But it sure looks good.

I'll get some info who reconstructed it into it's present condition.

Bone2stone

Edited by bone2stone

Awesome specimen, thanks for posting and welcome to the Forum---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

great find, excellent execution of tough prep

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Beautiful Specimen! Great story too :) I love it when You have a narrative on how stuff was identified makes the fossil more memorable.

-CQ

If it is a new species named for your friend, congrats! Every fossil-hunter's dream, finding something new.

Edited by Wrangellian

• 2 weeks later...

That's a cool little satrfish.

Ramo

Is "adamsi" the official name? I've always thought that the first name given had priority over any new names to come along. I know with the big Cope/Marsh race to name new species, many were named from only fragments of fossils. They also made a lot of names for things that were allready named, and the new name was always thrown out I thought.

Yes, Adamsi.

Not fully described previously.