Help Id Petrified Nut ? Specimen

Grebo

Hi Grebo

It looks like a volcanic lava bomb to me. They can look incredibly nut-like as a result aerodynamic sculpting. Here’s a moderately-sized one from the Mojave Desert:

post-6208-0-29484200-1344460740_thumb.jpg

[Pic by Rob McConnell]

It looks to be of the kind known as “breadcrust bombs” where the outside layer solidified during flight. They frequently have exterior cracks from continued expansion of the interior (as in your pic005), an aerodynamic “tail” (as in your pic003) and loads of vesicles (apparent in all your pics).

They are also frequently hollow from gas expansion (as in your pic006), which also shows evidence of being “cored” – where the outer rind encloses lava mixed with angular accessory fragments, which could be pieces of lava that solidified earlier or broken pieces of country rock.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Interesting, you learn something new each day!

With painshill around, it's often twice a day!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Neat!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks