Cephalopods From Epidaurus, Greece

FossilHunter.info

In the Peloponnese just 4 km from the famous greek theater of Epidaurus (340 BC) there is a small but interesting museum of natural history: the Museum Kotsiomitis. Here there is one of the best cefalopds concretion I ever seen!

A big blok with hundreds of cefalopods from Epidaurus Ladinian (239.000.000 years ago)..the ammonites from this area are very rare!!

post-4138-0-83794700-1344688006_thumb.jpg

post-4138-0-43797600-1344688324_thumb.jpg

post-4138-0-53267700-1344688332_thumb.jpg

post-4138-0-57853500-1344688386_thumb.jpg

Edited by FossilHunter.info
  • I found this Informative 1

Danny (Fossil Hunter)

whoa! thanks for sharing that one

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

What a fabulous specimen! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you for showing! Wonderful preserved Gymnites, Anolcites, Sturia etc. on this block. I wish I could collect in this quarry for one day. :drool:

Triassic ammonoids are my favourite stuff.

What is this on the block left of the Cephalopode block?

• I found this Informative 1

In the Peloponnese just 4 km from the famous greek theater of Epidaurus (340 BC) there is a small but interesting museum of natural history: the Museum Kotsiomitis. Here there is one of the best cefalopds concretion I ever seen!

A big blok with hundreds of cefalopods from Epidaurus Ladinian (239.000.000 years ago)..the ammonites from this area are very rare!!

Excellent pics, Danny!!!!

Actually, Kotsiomitis Museum is one of the best regional museums of my country...

I hope you had a good vacation ! :) !!

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Oh my. Are those really real? I swear my jaw just hit the ground, those are freaking fantastic.

:envy: :envy: :envy: :envy:

Robert
Southeast, MO

Oh my. Are those really real? I swear my jaw just hit the ground, those are freaking fantastic.

Can you imaging flipping over a piece of shale....

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Excellent pics, Danny!!!!

Actually, Kotsiomitis Museum is one of the best regional museums of my country...

I hope you had a good vacation ! :) !!

......not a lot of fossils but it was a good trip..greece is a wonderfull place,a lot of archeological sites,nice beaches and very friendly people . PS I was in ghiteio and was about to take the ferry to Crete .... I would have liked, but only ran on Friday and I was there on Monday! maybe next time I go directly to Crete to see the Palace of Knossos

Danny (Fossil Hunter)

This to small ones are from my collection

They aren't small at all :-) The ammonoids have a good size. The nautilus too. Thank U for sharing.

Andreas

Can you imaging flipping over a piece of shale....

Wow I cannot think of any words that can explain these photos well enough............

They are simply amazing. My mouth is agape just staring at them.

Robert
Southeast, MO