A Few Fossils

Mike Owens

Well said Mike ,I wish this was the general consensus. Particularly when the potential recipient of site info is not out to reap the land"so to speak".

Well said Mike ,I wish this was the general consensus. Particularly when the potential recipient of site info is not out to reap the land"so to speak".

That said, remember that you can't controll who reads the info once it's on the web.

Sharing is good, but the walls have a million eyes, and some of them are in the "resource extraction industry".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

, and some of them are in the "resource extraction industry".

I've met some of the leaders of that industry....out at the NSR!

I hear what you are saying ,so maybe usuing the PM function for site sharing would be the right way to go!

I think this topic has been beat to death on here a few times in the past. :)

The only way I found most sites to search, was information from older collectors who were kind enough to help me when I first started hunting. Now that I'm the older collector & can't hunt any more I'm repaying their kindness by passing on what little I know to the next generation. I never thought of any new site I ever found as being "mine." I've had as much fun taking someone out for their first hunt in watching their reaction to that first shark tooth or vertebra they find. I figure if I miss a good one at least someone else might come behind me & pick it up. At least it doesn't sit there & get ruined or completely destroyed by mother nature. Believe me, there are enough fossils to go around for everyone. I have found that the Golden Rule has served me well in my life.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I learned about some of these spots by reading posts on this board. By going to check them out, I've met some really good friends. So, anytime someone on here makes a trip to Austin, I'll tell you everything I know. (which is easy, cause I don't know much!) :P

I am sorry Lance if my reply may have offended you in any manner, blame it on a poor choice of words.

These days I never ask "Where did you find that?", instead I ask "What formation did you find that?" This is because I want to research the formation, where it's exposed, and then discover a site myself. That's the REAL joy I get out of this hobby.

Lance

Well then let me ask you a laymans question....?????

What happens when a well meaning person "such as me" with really no academic validation other that a GED....

Wants to go out on the weekends and wander the rivers/nooks/crannys/creeks etc: Looking for that next find.... weather it's a small Brachiopiod or a large Eopachydiscus.You know that this person is not there for any kind of monetary gain,nor would he/she be there for site degredation etc, but with his limited education has a problem with connecting the dots"so to speak" on how to read and interperate a Geological map!!!!! You would shut your mouth and not help this person enjoy the hobby that you so Love.... That's what jumps in my craw the most "right there"

Just my .02

"...teach a man to fish..."

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

.....and he will be divorced within two years. :)

Duuuude soooo true!!!! :D:D:D

Actually it was a year and a half :P

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

:cool: pics and thread!

Yes, they are people out there that are going to take advantage of you. There are people who are going to mess things up for the rest of us just because that is the kind of people that they are. Then there are those people who will enjoy and respect the land and you for sharing the information.

It's all about respect and trust. If you are going to a new place you should abide by the rules given to you by the person sharing that location. If they don't want you to tell anyone where it is, you BETTER not! If they don't care if others know, pass it along.

There are those that are in this for profit and there are those that are in this for passion! Share your passion with those who are distinguished for their character!

Thanks for sharing the pictures Mike, you have some wonderful finds!!!! :wub:

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

(making sure I don't get hit by a passionate post...)

Hey, Mike. Is that the largest mosasaur vertebra you've ever found? It's a hoss!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Mother of leviathan that's big!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ