Hit Monmouth County Hard Again...

lordpiney

I, and a friend, hit the usual Monmouth county creeks pretty hard Sun am. i found way more Squali's then usual, a broken Plesiosaur tooth, an unusual little vert, and the usual suspects.

ef342869.jpg

Nice little haul you got there ;)

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

wow! over here, if you are verrryyy lucky you find one Squali a year! mostly pseudocorax and paleohypotodus bronni....

Really nice finds, like the plesiosaur tooth!

Way to go, Phil! :)

Good to see you out there scooping them up, bro!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Can you post a shot of the plesiosaur tooth?

Yea! Details please...

And that gastropod looks like a decent specimens as well.

wow! over here, if you are verrryyy lucky you find one Squali a year! mostly pseudocorax and paleohypotodus bronni....

Meanwhile, Pseudocorax is VERY rare here (most collectors don't have any). Funny how it tends to work itself out!

Good to see you getting out again, Phil. No Mosasaur teeth tho? Your slipping. :P

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Sorry - I don't think that's a plesiosaur tooth. And I have my doubts about the ammonite - do you see any sutures?

So what do you think it is then Carl? an antler tip or something else? and no sutures on the ammo that i can see. lots of little swirl marks though. im really not sure what it is.

Good to see you getting out again, Phil. No Mosasaur teeth tho? Your slipping. :P

Thanks Dave! lol...no Mos teeth this time around. im almost considering sifting....NAHHHH! :P I did find a little tooth fragment that im not sure of...might be an x-fish, or reptile tooth. i'll take some close-up shots of it later.

Edited by Guest

Nice haul! I'm not so sure about your suspected ammonite though. I don't see any suture imprints and the rounded structures make me think that you may have part of a large bivalve shell there. Hard to tell though from this perspective.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I'd have to agree with Carl, it might be bone, or an antler tip, but doesn't look like plesiosaur and unfortunately the ammonite is surely a concretion. Not sure on this reptile/fish tooth, could be either. Xiphactinus may be more likely than mosey. But the croc vert is pretty awesome!!! Nice finds.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Hi Phil. Is that an arrow head too in you collection? I love how everyone finds something fantastic in finds

Hi Phil. Is that an arrow head too in you collection? I love how everyone finds something fantastic in finds

why yes it is John...it's a pretty rough little point, but one none the less.