I Found These In Ne Alabama, Can You Help Me Identify Please?

Sullenskies

• New Members

I found these fossils in the same rock with trilobites but cannot find anything that looks similar to them on the net. They were found in NE Alabama near the Gadsden Area, any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Also since I am new to this forum it will not let me create an album just yet, these links are fossils not some kind of spam or virus.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/kadaverous13/2B167D76-2A4D-4C04-A965-3654544723FF-19732-0000090A44587AC3.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/kadaverous13/D007A401-1FA4-48E3-B8A5-741919BDA785-19732-0000090A3992C775.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/kadaverous13/541BFE80-70BA-4455-BCCB-F99E3F4C04BB-19732-0000090A29CD54A1.jpg

Can't really tell without a little clearer pix. Maybe graptolites??

I think the last one is a fossil mosquito :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

what age and formation is the fossil from???

it looks t be limestone, upper mississippian????

hard to tell but me thinks its a spine on a piece of a productid brachiopod

I think they look like various shell or carapace pieces embedded in the weathered sedimentary matrix.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The suggestion of a trilobite sounds good to me. The photos are showing a spine attached to a thoracic tergite from the trilobite: Norwoodia. The Conasauga Formation runs through northeastern Alabama and Norwoodia gracilis (Walcott, 1916) is described. Attached is a line drawing with arrow pointing to the spine-bearing segment.

post-4301-0-86190600-1345508753_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

The suggestion of a trilobite sounds good to me...

When does it not? :P

You always back it up, though :thumbsu:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree with piranha that you seem to have fragments of a couple of different types of trilobites. Attached are photos of a couple of Norwoodia, one with and one without the free cheeks attached, that I collected in NE Alabama. The occipital spine (pointing backwards from the back of the head) doesn't show on my specimens, as it is broken off. I also will post a photo of an agnostid trilobite (Baltagnostus) from the same area, as I think I see possible heads or tails of agnostids in your photos. The photos aren't the best, I was playing with a microscope-to-computer setup that had a ring light, so there are no shadows to lend contrast or depth to the images. There are agnostids in addition to Baltagnostus in the area, such as Peronopsis, and I can't tell from your images what genus you have (or even be certain you have agnostids, hopefully you can make that determination).

Don

Norwoodia:

post-528-0-10313500-1345510924_thumb.jpg post-528-0-90685000-1345510934_thumb.jpg

Baltagnostus:

post-528-0-07010000-1345510939_thumb.jpg

• New Members

Thank you very much everyone, I do have a bunch of trilobites that came from the area and they look just like the Norwoodia that you all have posting pictures of/ talked about. I appreciate everyone's time ^^

• 2 weeks later...

You show Scott (piranha) a tiny sliver of a trilobite ...

He'll tell you it's name and what size shoes it wore !!

:D

This is a common misconception as trilobites unanimously prefered sandals.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

... sorry.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett