Huge Tree Fossil From Kentucky. Need Help.

silverado

• New Members

This was found in South East Kentucky and appears to me to be some kind of tree, it is a little more than 3 feet long. Any help identifying this will be greatly appreciated. The surface is not smooth to the touch and it is about 8 to 10 inches wide.

post-9456-0-40447300-1345690097_thumb.jpg

At first glance (late at night, after a couple beers.....so this is probably way off), it doesn't actually look like a fossil to me.

How much does it weigh?

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Pictures of the end would help.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Massive, and very cool!

The only reason I would think this not fossil would be if it were made of cast concrete.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• New Members

Sorry this is the only pic I have right now. It is heavy like a rock and oval when looked at from the end with a slightly darker spot in the middle. I am about possitive it is not concrete. Thank for all the comments, they are appreciated.

Can't help much from here with just the one picture, and I can only really identify Petrified Palm. That has little circles running up the trunk instead of rings. So, an end slice looks like it's full of dots from where the palm sucked water up like with a straw. Used to have a piece about that big, though. Very nice piece.

I've blown up the photo and looked close: Missourian is right; it is the trunk of a Carboniferous lycopod called Sigilaria, and it is terribly impressive!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well, I coulda tried to be amusing (try and stop me) and guessed it was some kind of Hickory. Sure is nice to have you non-newbies here to help!

very cool!

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Is it possible to collect more from the site? There may be better ones yet.

Context is critical.

Wow, looks very well preserved. That's it, going to Kentucky very soon as I keep seeing more and more great finds from all over the state.

Nice, thought it looked Pennsylvanian! You look closer it is a large piece of Sigillaria truck, awesome find that may be one of best I have ever seen. There may be more there?

Edited by trilobiteruss

I agree with the others...it's a museum quality specimen. Many of us have seen or collected small chunks but that one is just real NICE.

That is an amazing piece of Sigillaria sp. :goodjob: I collect a lot in E.Kentucky and have never seen a piece anywhere that diameter and length. Well done!

Was it in the Hazard area?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I have recently seen a log from the Mississippian rocks of Kentucky (Borden), but you can definitely tell it was replaced. Plenty of fossilized wood, logs and roots from the Pennsylvanian rocks of Kentucky including some vertical standing in place. I would be very interested in seeing the ends of the specimen, it would also help with the identification.

• New Members

Thanks again for all of the help. It was found about 15 miles from Hazard Ky. It was my Father-n-laws find and I will get more pics the next time I go over there. I have found other smaller petrified wood but it has more of a pattern of small circles without the lines. Thanks to everyone for the info.

• New Members

Any guesses on the value of this fossil. I have no idea of the value of fossils and can't find one like this that was for sale anywhere. Not expecting an exact quote just your best guess because I have no idea. Thanks again.

Any guesses on the value of this fossil. I have no idea of the value of fossils and can't find one like this that was for sale anywhere. Not expecting an exact quote just your best guess because I have no idea. Thanks again.

I'd just put a price tag of $1,000,000 on it, and see where the bidding goes from there. :bigthumb:

Seriously though, I have no idea what it would be 'worth'.

I suspect, if it's as unusual as some of the guys are saying, it might be more valuable scientifically, than monitarily, and some museum may be interested in having it donated to their collection for a really cool display item.

-- Mr. Edonihce

Nice tree. I don't think I've ever seen one this nice.

(If I remember from when I was a kid Hazard had a museum. I think Bo and Luke saved it once. ;) )

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

The one with the whorls is probably Stigmaria sp, plenty of that in the Hazard area.

Nice tree. I don't think I've ever seen one this nice.

(If I remember from when I was a kid Hazard had a museum. I think Bo and Luke saved it once. ;) )

Ramo

Wrong Hazard, that Hazzard was in N.Carolina I believe. I was born in Hazard,KY, I don't think it's big enough for a museum. (unless it's the moonshine and oxycondon museum :( ). Lots of nice fossils and townspeople though.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

You could get an estimate of value at a rock shop. If they ask to buy it then double or triple the amount they give you as the real value since that will be closer to what they try and sell it for. Museums can not give dollar values (has to do with some law meant to keep the process honest) But if you get a decent quote from a dealer and then donate it to a museum you can ask for a receipt for that amount as a charitable donation. (This is also why Goodwill hands you blank receipt when you bring them stuff.)