Collecting In Nc

lawooten

All the whale inner ear bones we found at the same dig site within a 40x40 area collecting that we did for two days. The Ray plat we found at a different site. Brian I took away some matrix and found another plate. Cool ha

post-764-1223074215_thumb.jpg

post-764-1223074247_thumb.jpg

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Love the ray plates; they're much cooler in the matrix than the few complete ones I've found loose on the beach.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

OK, I've read the replies so far, and I don't understand why nobody's asked what I consider to be the OBVIOUS question here -

You have apparently found a prehistoric WHALE EAR GRAVEYARD??

Was there something that looked like a large fossil IPOD laying around anywhere nearby??

Now I've got to go back and look and see how many are right ears versus how many are left ears...

sheesh, you can just imagine how the conversation went as they were diggin' -

"Man, we sure are findin' a lot of these things, aren't we Billy Ray?"

"I HEARD that, Earl!"

(This was Southern humor, folks. If you didn't fully comprehend the hilarity factor, then you obviously need to return north with these bytes and have an anthropologist at HAAAArrvard interpret them for youse guys).

(P.S. - that must have been one BAD ray to kill all those whales and only lose a mouthplate in the process.)

OK, I've read the replies so far, and I don't understand why nobody's asked what I consider to be the OBVIOUS question here -

You have apparently found a prehistoric WHALE EAR GRAVEYARD??

Was there something that looked like a large fossil IPOD laying around anywhere nearby??

Now I've got to go back and look and see how many are right ears versus how many are left ears...

sheesh, you can just imagine how the conversation went as they were diggin' -

"Man, we sure are findin' a lot of these things, aren't we Billy Ray?"

"I HEARD that, Earl!"

(This was Southern humor, folks. If you didn't fully comprehend the hilarity factor, then you obviously need to return north with these bytes and have an anthropologist at HAAAArrvard interpret them for youse guys).

(P.S. - that must have been one BAD ray to kill all those whales and only lose a mouthplate in the process.)

That's a WHALE of a story Tracer, I'm not sure I hEAR what you are saying. You'd better BONE up on your pre-history. There could be GRAVE consequences to spinning such a tale. I YARDly believe what you're saying. <_<

Cool bones, though.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Perhaps the spot was a calving ground?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Is it a reworked deposit? Things of similar size, shape, and mass can be sorted and concentrated by moving water.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest bmorefossil
Perhaps the spot was a calving ground?

well there are spots where you can find like 40 megs, its just where they all collected at one time

well there are spots where you can find like 40 megs, its just where they all collected at one time

Well, yeah, there are patterns and then there is the randomness of things. Having so many fossils in one spot suggests either a large population or a force that was great enough to put them all in one spot, say a river. LArge shark teeth may have fallen in one spot perhaps because of continous feeding. Perhaps a shark was killed there and died. The possibilities are endless.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest bmorefossil
Well, yeah, there are patterns and then there is the randomness of things. Having so many fossils in one spot suggests either a large population or a force that was great enough to put them all in one spot, say a river. LArge shark teeth may have fallen in one spot perhaps because of continous feeding. Perhaps a shark was killed there and died. The possibilities are endless.

yea they are but since we are talking about just ear bones it must have been a bunch of skeletons and then the river took all the ear bones and put them in the spot where you found them

Actually we found a great many bones too along with a lot of different types of specimens like Megs, great whites and some whale teeth. I had been surprised that the one thing we found so little of was the whales teeth compared to the number of inner ears. We figured we found a pod that had grounded. We still collect from this same spot and it keeps giving. You know I really need to take note on the verity we did find. :mellow: hem Tracer my degree is in anthropology and from UNCW and I liked the joke. Ya I know I should be digging artifacts but I do on the side. My grandfather was big on fossil collecting and he took us along as kids a lot.

Actually we found a great many bones too along with a lot of different types of specimens like Megs, great whites and some whale teeth. I had been surprised that the one thing we found so little of was the whales teeth compared to the number of inner ears. We figured we found a pod that had grounded. We still collect from this same spot and it keeps giving. You know I really need to take note on the verity we did find...

The assemblage sounds similar to the California Pliocene "kill zones".

These impressive skate plates.

They are associated or belong to two different individuals?.

Greetings.

These impressive skate plates.

They are associated or belong to two different individuals?.

Greetings.

They are the same size so they may belong to the same.

The Ray plates were found in a different location so you see the ray did not kill the whales Tracer. he he You have to understand I do not work so I do a lot of research into dig locations. I will spend months finding some of the locations and then I contact property owners that have been really great at letting us have access. It seems that people are very agreeable if you just ask and not trespass onto there land. We have dropped out of clubs because they went into areas they were told not to. I surely wouldn't want anyone on the land I pay the lease for without them asking me.

Edited by lawooten