Petrified Wood

garyc

I am not a huge petrified wood collector. If I find a cool piece, I bring it home and throw it in the garden. But this piece caught my eye. Can anyone tell if this is palm or possibly snakewood? It's wet for better photography. Silverphoenix, MikeD where are you?

post-5020-0-02528800-1345769576_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-76308300-1345769583_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-25063600-1345769598_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-35660000-1345769604_thumb.jpg

looks like palm to this non-plant guy :)

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Sure could be: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is definitely snakewood. A excellent, classic piece. You can tell by the oval shape and honeycomb arrangement of the vessels. Yours also has a nice set of growth rings.

Edited by MikeD
  • I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Classic snake wood! Congrats. I'd expect that around the time of the annual show that you could sell it for a pretty penny. Maybe slab it first...

Of course I don't sell stuff so I'm just speculating... :D

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Classic snake wood! Congrats. I'd expect that around the time of the annual show that you could sell it for a pretty penny. Maybe slab it first...

Of course I don't sell stuff so I'm just speculating... :D

Not that i'm interested in selling, but i'm curious how much something like this would go for???

• 3 weeks later...

It is 100% snakewood. A nice, mature piece with excellent preservation. So far as value, that's anyone's guess as its so rare that there's not a huge market for it. Granted that there are a few knowledgeable folks who want snakewood very badly....it is worth what someone will pay for it at a given time.

So far as ranking against the 19 pieces I have found so far, it is of average size, average coloration, and excellent (above average) preservation

Thanks for weighing in Chase. I guess you guys finally made it off the beach! Hope you found something cool to make the trip worth while. I'm not really interested in selling the piece, just curious. I think I may have found a few more small pieces as well.

Please post up those pieces when you have a chance so we can take a look. I'll be putting on a snakewood display this year and would like to put up a map with distribution information (so far as county, not specific GPS coordinates), so it would be interesting to see where all it is being found and in what concentrations.

I found a bison tooth and the partial bison skeleton, so that was exciting. No artifacts though unfortunately.