Bone Or Tooth?

SE Montana

A few months ago I found some shells on the ranch we recently moved on to. Since then I've been staring at the ground everywhere I go :). This is so addicting!

I've just started doing research on fossils so my knowledge base is very limited and I would love to get some help on the things I've found so far.

As far as area and geology, I live in the very Southeast corner of Carter County, Montana. Looking at the map I believe it is Pierre Shale, Upper Cretaceous.

Bone, Wood or Tooth (or just a rock)? I thought maybe it could be something because of all the little holes.

post-9537-0-48547400-1346090810_thumb.jpgpost-9537-0-70363000-1346090818_thumb.jpgpost-9537-0-56349200-1346090828_thumb.jpg

More pics to post but since this is my first time I will see if this works first.

Welcome aboard!

Your first piece does look (to me) to be a bone fragment.

The other piece, I'm not at all sure about... In the first picture, the brown material really looks like dried mud, but the cross section of the light colored layer shows a structure that reminds me of Inoceramus clamshell.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks!

I don't think I'm on prime fossil ground here. So mostly what I find is small or pieces of what I think could be something, but it's fun anyway.

I do find a lot of Baculites though, common but pretty.

First piece is certainly bone, could be dinosaur bone, keep looking!

Second piece is mud around a middle layer of gypsum crystals. You'll find a lot of gypsum out there.

First piece is certainly bone, could be dinosaur bone, keep looking!

Second piece is mud around a middle layer of gypsum crystals. You'll find a lot of gypsum out there.

Thanks, I will!