Crinoid Something?

Riverbilly

I know these are crinoids. I looked through some images but could not find exactly what this is.

The side view is interesting, can somebody explain what is going on here?

As usual, found on the Colorado River below Austin.

Thanks,

David

post-8432-0-77213400-1346102960_thumb.jpg

post-8432-0-96736300-1346102995_thumb.jpg

post-8432-0-99307100-1346103032_thumb.jpg

post-8432-0-22539100-1346103066_thumb.jpg

I think it is a conglomerate rock; maybe puddingstone: LINK

Pretty cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree.

I know what you were thinking though....the apparent 'roundness' of some of the pieces does give off that kind of impression if you're not familiar enough with the real thing (crinoids, etc).

Most likely though, they are simply rocks (pebbles) that got rounded-off before they ended up as part of that piece of rock; a pretty common thing in conglomerate facies.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

I would agree that it is a nice conglomerate specimen.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I agree.

I know what you were thinking though....the apparent 'roundness' of some of the pieces does give off that kind of impression if you're not familiar enough with the real thing (crinoids, etc).

Most likely though, they are simply rocks (pebbles) that got rounded-off before they ended up as part of that piece of rock; a pretty common thing in conglomerate facies.

Yes, the roundness of a few of the pebbles fooled me. I'm not that familiar with a lot of this yet.

Thank you everybody.

right-on

keep pickin em up and postin em here :)

It's always fun to see what people find in different places.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

The only way we get to see your cool stuff is if you post it!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I like to see the mysteries people post, there can be some great learning for all of us!

russ