Woehr's April 2012 Texas Fossil Collecting Report

Uncle Siphuncle

Getting another milestone of prep behind me feels good. This report is shorter than some of the more recent ones, in part because Nando and Diana from Italy were so kind to adopt many of the Texas fossils we found in April, saving me some time during prep!

And now a general note that goes for all of my reports...feel free to question any ID that doesn't seem quite right to you. I'm a hobbyist with no formal training in this, and I just learn as I go. I have a habit of skewing my limited play time more toward the field and prep than "book worming". There is a chance I've been misidentifying certain fossils for years. I'm thick skinned concerning my paleo ID acumen and open minded to learning.

Feel free to peruse my monthly e-rag at the Brazosport Museum website link below:

http://bcfas.org/museum/Meander/2012/FOSSIL%20COLLECTING%20REPORT%20April%202012.pdf

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Another fascinating report.

I love your expeditions, but would hate your gas bills.

At least we are able to tag along on your exploits without having to pay for the gas. Thanks for taking us along.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

make no mistake, i have to tighten my belt in other areas to scrape together a few shekels for fuel. thanks for looking... good times!

Grüße,

:))))) hei, mi sembra di riconoscere queste facce :)))

Great report, Dan. What nice echinoid assemblage we did in 2 days. Also thanks again for your logistic help: warm welcome, transportation, accommodation, supper and... most important the ladder :)

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

yes nando, the ladder...keeps us above the rattlesnakes!

Grüße,

Ja, es ist ein Schneckehimmel hier...wann Sie ankommen???

Grüße,

as barely English speaking and barely German speaking I should tell: when will you come? :P

That's what I was wondereing, but he should write "Du" instead of "Sie". We are "Duzfreunde".

Geez Dan, in answer to your question, I can't say. I'll be visiting my parents in On. in Oct., but don't have time to make the jump down south. You're still high up on my wish-list though, so only time will tell.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

scylla, glad u like....another report comin atcha soon...

Grüße,

sorry roger... "Der Deutschschlachter" strikes again...still teaching myself the language and stuck in the formal form for simplicity at the moment.

Grüße,

Haha MB thought you might appreciate that one!

Grüße,

• 2 weeks later...

Dan,

I looked at the unidentified shark tooth (fig. 114) and agree that it is Carcharias. If you have straight-on views of both faces and a profile view of the tooth, it might help on the species. What is the size? It appears to be an upper lateral tooth.

Fig. 118 also shows a Carcharias tooth - probably an anterior

Jess

Getting another milestone of prep behind me feels good. This report is shorter than some of the more recent ones, in part because Nando and Diana from Italy were so kind to adopt many of the Texas fossils we found in April, saving me some time during prep!

And now a general note that goes for all of my reports...feel free to question any ID that doesn't seem quite right to you. I'm a hobbyist with no formal training in this, and I just learn as I go. I have a habit of skewing my limited play time more toward the field and prep than "book worming". There is a chance I've been misidentifying certain fossils for years. I'm thick skinned concerning my paleo ID acumen and open minded to learning.

Feel free to peruse my monthly e-rag at the Brazosport Museum website link below:

http://bcfas.org/mus... April 2012.pdf

thanks jess... only problem is that the tooth is now in a pile of 12 months of finds awaiting curation.

Grüße,