Starfish Arm Or Something Else?

Raistlin

I am testing my new handheld magnifying camera/video that does 500X.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649

The fossil in question is roughly 1 1/2 CM long, I forgot to write down zoom of photos sorry.

The fossil is Decorah/Plattin, Ordivician, found in Jackson Missouri at the same site as the cephalopod while at work.

This is the best I can do as far as getting a close enough shot to see any detail. It is too small for a regular camera without a macro lens.

First the up close detail of one area.

PTDC0016.jpg

And here is what I believe is the arm. I am not sure what it could be, I have never seen anything like it. A friend who knows more than me is also stumped on this one.

PTDC0015.jpg

PTDC0014.jpg

PTDC0013.jpg

PTDC0012.jpg

PTDC0006.jpg

Edited by Raistlin

Robert
Southeast, MO

Those are pretty good pix,I'll have to look at one of those. But I think they may be closer to 50x than 500x. Some of the camera advertising gets a little exuberant. :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

No I did not take it to 500X there would be no more detail as it would be blown out way too far lol.

I forgot to write down my zoom sorry.

The fossil in question is roughly 1 1/2 CM long.

Sorry for not including that in my first post. I was sort of excited about the camera lol.

I edited the first post to state size and that I did not write down magnification.

Edited by Raistlin

Robert
Southeast, MO

How 'bout crinoid anal sac?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hmm I have never seen one of those before. I can only find one or two photos online that is listed as that. Those I did find do look simular they are far bigger though so it is easier to see detail lol.

I will have to keep searching for some images.

Robert
Southeast, MO

I believe you might be right. While not finding a great deal of photos of the anal sack, I am seeing some nice crinoid heads/cups that are showing some nice deatil to little bits I am finding in the rock. I will try to get some of those bits posted up on this thread some time soon.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Here are a few other things I have found.

PTDC0029.jpg

PTDC0030.jpg

PTDC0033.jpg

PTDC0019.jpg

This is next to .5mm rule.

PTDC0038.jpg

This I believe is a Cornulites due to the longitudinal lines on it. Though I guess it could be a tentaculites. This one is 7mm long.

PTDC0050.jpg

PTDC0049.jpg

PTDC0048.jpg

PTDC0046.jpg

This one is on a bivalve and is 3 mm long.

PTDC0009-1.jpg

PTDC0005.jpg

Here is a Cornulites I found in a different location that still needs prepping.

PTDC0009.jpg

PTDC0007.jpg

Sorry for some blur as I said this is something I am still learning to steady and take the photo at the same time. For the price though and it being portable is worth it.

Robert
Southeast, MO

I agree with Cornulites; Tentaculites is straight over its full length.

araucaria1959

At least I got one of them right lol.

ID is not my strong point even more so when it comes to the small stuff.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Given the apparent 'thinness' of the specimen, it doesn't seem like crinoid anal sack to me. For that, I'd normally expect much more 3D to it.

This looks more bryozoan-ish, and if it weren't for the apparent complex pattern I see here, that's what I'd say it is.

If it's not bryozoan, I guess I'd start looking back at the echinoderms again to see if anything turns up in that neighborhood. It does sort of look like some of the echinoid and/or sea star ambulacral plating and pores that I've seen in some of the Cretaceous items I've collected, but I have no idea what the equivalents looked like in the Ordovician.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

post-423-0-69535300-1346515520_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty 3-D to me...if it can be prepped out a bit, it would help.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That may be true.

In these photos, it just looks like a 'layer' to me.

Not that the layer itself isn't 3D, but you know....like a bryozoan.

It really does look more sea star or echinoid-like to me though with that pattern.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Given the apparent 'thinness' of the specimen, it doesn't seem like crinoid anal sack to me. For that, I'd normally expect much more 3D to it.

This looks more bryozoan-ish, and if it weren't for the apparent complex pattern I see here, that's what I'd say it is.

If it's not bryozoan, I guess I'd start looking back at the echinoderms again to see if anything turns up in that neighborhood. It does sort of look like some of the echinoid and/or sea star ambulacral plating and pores that I've seen in some of the Cretaceous items I've collected, but I have no idea what the equivalents looked like in the Ordovician.

A friend said he thought it looked a bit bryozoan as well. However, like you the pattern it has makes him think it is not.

As delicate as it is I am afraid to do much prep on it. This came from the same area where just air cleaned a lot of the stuff off. This has in fact been hit with just air and it cleaned it up a lot. When looking though a microscope to prep it there seems to be a lot of granulation around the fossil and you can sort of see that in the photos. Looking at it in person it appears to be no more than 2mm thick at its thickest point which happens to be the center point with it narrowing down at the edges. This is why my initial thought was starfish arm.

Robert
Southeast, MO

The suggested star fish arm ...

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring agreeing

with Auspex ... this is probably crinoid. Probably

an anal tube. I remember recently finding one partially

exposed and swore it was a star fish arm. Didn't take too

much preparation to reveal it was s crinoid anal tube.

The specimen I found was not as weathered.

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Haha my you are good.

I found this stuff with a flash light at night and some moving of lose soil with a ruler. I can see the basic shape, but magnification brings out the real detail.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Haha my you are good.

I found this stuff with a flash light at night and some moving of lose soil with a ruler. I can see the basic shape, but magnification brings out the real detail.

That soil (shale) is fossiliferous

Next time your at that site ...collect a small bucket of it

and sift it at home. You will be surprised at all the "goodies"

you will find.

:)

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

That soil (shale) is fossiliferous

Next time your at that site ...collect a small bucket of it

and sift it at home. You will be surprised at all the "goodies"

you will find.

:)

Well it is from a rock behind where I work, on their land and gated in lol.

I cannot break the rock any more but I can collect lose stuff. I scooped up a cup full of some of the dirt to bring home but have not been through it yet.

It is Ordovician in age and Decorah/Plattin (most likely Plattin) formation.

Robert
Southeast, MO