You Find The Strangest Things In The Hell Creek!

chele

I find a lot of fossils here, but I find more weird things. These are just a few I have that really take weirdness to a higher level. All are very heavy and dense.

post-5476-0-68420100-1346533920_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-97742200-1346534014_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-96560400-1346534067_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-33990600-1346534097_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

Look like coprolites.

I would hate to be the dinosaur that dropped the second one!

Chelebele

I would hate to be the dinosaur that dropped the second one!

Maybe it was a kidney stone ;)

Eitehr way ouch :(

Robert
Southeast, MO

those really are strange looking, maybe some kind of concretion? A lot of the odd shaped stuff here in NJ is siderite concretions and sometimes I find stuff inside them. That first one really has me intrigued

I would guess coprolites too. Second pic looks like an iron concretion to me but that is just a swag. Cool no matter what they are.

They all look like concretions. The first one is really cool.

Context is critical.

HI chele-

yeah, concretions. They can be a dime a dozen in the Hell Creek, and I've never heard anyone ever call them coprolites, probably cuz most of them don't actually look like poo. I call them Michelin Men.

I have a small collection of these Hell Creek concretions ( extruded under great pressure )

Found south of Glendive

I went out to the dueling dinos site over the weekend. There was a big concretion about 10 to 15 feet from the hole where the two dinos were found. It was stuck in a cliff. I used to split them but I got tired of finding nothing inside after a couple of hundred of them. I reached out to pull it from the cliff and it split in two. I was very surprised to find a very large claw inside. I did not mess around with the site because it is where Clayton had dug. When I got back to the house I called Clayton and told him what I found. He was also very surprised! He had said that Pete Larson had visited the site years before and he thinks there might be another large therapod buried there. He said he did not think a Nano could take down such a large Ceratopsian by himself, there had to be another large therapod. If there is another dino there a big mudslide or some other event must have buried them very quickly for all to be present. So now I am very curious. I did not get a chance to photograph the claw. The owner of the property had already taken the claw to Clayton. To make a very long story short, that is the only concretion I found with something inside it.

Chelebele

It's always possible that a fossil could end up in a concretion by chance, even if they don't otherwise tend to grow around fossils.

I must say I've never heard of a claw being found in one, though. :)

Context is critical.

It's always possible that a fossil could end up in a concretion by chance, even if they don't otherwise tend to grow around fossils.

I must say I've never heard of a claw being found in one, though. :)

I was able to get a photo from the land owner tonight. She did not send the other pics of the other pieces of the claw, but this will give you a picture of the concretion. You can see the part that I split to reveal the fossil.

post-5476-0-24835300-1346989173_thumb.jpg

Edited by chele

Chelebele

I was able to get a photo from the land owner tonight. She did not send the other pics of the other pieces of the claw, but this will give you a picture of the concretion. You can see the part that I split to reveal the fossil.

Cool.

That's some strange texture in the concretion matrix. I wonder if those are some kind of crystals?

Context is critical.