West Nile Virus Warning In Indiana

IndianaSam

Hey everyone, I don't know if this is the appropriate spot for this post, but I thought that I would let those people who live in Indiana and those who are planning a trip to Indiana know that there has been a very large outbreak of West Nile Virus, and reports are have come in from all over the state. Remember to bring plenty of bug spray for when your in the field, and if you are camping out during your trip to bring a few citronella candles or torches to place around the camp sight! Also check out where your going to be digging, make sure there isn't any standing water nearby or at least not a lot. Stay safe and have a good time in the field!

This is an effect of the drought this year, as Culex mosquitoes thive in these conditions. Here in Indiana C. tarsalis, the primary vector of West Nile, is everywhere.

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Protection from mosquitoes would be very well advised, no matter where in the US you happen to be living/hunting. This is the worst year since 2002 for West Nile. It seems strange that drought conditions could favor the Culex mosquitoes that vector the virus, but what happens is that there is no flowing water to flush out the pools where the mosquitoes develop. In urban areas, these mosquitoes breed in the storm sewers and come out in the evening to feed. With no storm water flushing the storm sewers you get huge populations building up in there. Also, in some places like near Atlanta, rivers are so low that the outflow ("recharge") from sewage treatment plants is the main input into rivers. The recharge has been treated to remove harmful bacteria, but it is still very rich in organic material, and there is little "clean" water flowing to dilute the recharge. Culex does especially well in water with a lot of organic material, unlike some other mosquitoes such as the tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus).

So cover up, and use that DEET or other effective repellant.

Don

Between the unrelenting 100 + heat and the West Nile virus, my fossil hunting has just about stopped. It's just not fun in these conditions.

The heat can be a problem. You get out and lose track of time and not thinking about the heat can be hazardous. I have had a few instances of getting into collecting and forgetting to keep cool, take breaks, and stay hydrated.

Of course I have no one to blame but myself lol.

Robert
Southeast, MO