New Android App Fossil Collector , Useful Free Tool !

ckmerlin

Hi all just wanted to give you all a heads up o a very useful free android application I found on Google play store, its called Fossil collector , I have been testing it this week and it has become very useful

Its a tool for logging your finds. it has the ability to photograph or video your find then map the location using GPS , has sections for logging formation found in , age of formation and fossil specimen , type of fossilization , geological era , and a section for logging strike and dip with a compass , also has a theodolite tool there are other tools there but I think it best to let you try and see what you think .

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shopzeus.android.majorforms_1017&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5zaG9wemV1cy5hbmRyb2lkLm1ham9yZm9ybXNfMTAxNyJd

Edited by ckmerlin

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Awesome, thanks. Downloaded it just now. It looks like it will be useful to document in the field for later use.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Y'all be sure to report back on how it works, and how useful it is. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

...kinda funny that you can log temperature and barometric pressure...

Designed to take advantage of the device's capabilities, rather that the needs of the intended use...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Not fired it up yet, but I saw on the description it lets you set up a personal website to share, but does it allow group sharing? I think a website-specific collecting map would be very useful.

Not fired it up yet, but I saw on the description it lets you set up a personal website to share, but does it allow group sharing? I think a website-specific collecting map would be very useful.

yes I think it does

If others are sampling with you, they can add their own events, media and data, through their smartphones or tablets, to each event if you choose to share your username with them. All smartphones or tablets will be instantaneously updated with the shared information through the application and include all the collected information on your website. Or each individual on the field trip can create their own account and website on MajorForms to document the work themselves.

Make your own sampling video or powerpoint presentation automatically once you return to share with colleagues or for presentations. With one click, the videos, maps, and images are integrated into a video timeline or a powerpoint presentation. (copied and pasted from app site )

Edited by ckmerlin

Designed to take advantage of the device's capabilities, rather that the needs of the intended use...

I agree , the only tools on the app that I probably wouldnt use

Be careful about the sharing if you are hunting a secret spot if it tags gps coordinates!

Just saying.....

In this case you can just download to spread sheet etc for own use only

Y'all be sure to report back on how it works, and how useful it is. :)

I agree the proof of the pudding is in the eating , I would be pleased to hear how everyone gets on with the app ( good or bad ) So far Ive found it very useful but it may not be to everyones tastes

yes I think it does

If others are sampling with you, they can add their own events, media and data, through their smartphones or tablets, to each event if you choose to share your username with them. All smartphones or tablets will be instantaneously updated with the shared information through the application and include all the collected information on your website. Or each individual on the field trip can create their own account and website on MajorForms to document the work themselves.

Make your own sampling video or powerpoint presentation automatically once you return to share with colleagues or for presentations. With one click, the videos, maps, and images are integrated into a video timeline or a powerpoint presentation. (copied and pasted from app site )

Excellent!

I would be very interested in a group for UK members to share locations other than the usual "go to Lyme Regis" fossil location sites we usually have.

Edited by Tachikoma_kun