Fossil In Sandstone Id Plz

hoplo

Hi all,

A few years ago my hubby dug loads of sandstone up in our garden, hes stated building a wall with it and we are seeing lots of fossils in it, can someone plz id it. We are in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, UK

Picture 1

IMGA0146.jpg

Picture 2

IMGA0145.jpg

And what are these in it too :blink:

Picture 3

IMGA0147.jpg

Thanks in advance :D

Edited by hoplo

Those are very nice Calamiites (coal age-- probably Pennsylvanian scouring rush). The last photo has a quartz pebble conglomerate, the lower Pennsylvanian in US at least for midwest and east has these in the channel sandstone deposits. Nice finds!

russ

Yes, a very nice 3-D coal-swamp Calamites stem.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

thanks guys,

also, we live at the top of a hill, my hubby dug down about 8 feet when he started find these :)

Are they a common find?

Hi hoplo

Are you on the West side of Barnsley?

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Hi hoplo

Are you on the West side of Barnsley?

Not sure where west side is :blush:

We are at Worsbrough Common, not far from Barnsley town centre

OK… not where I was expecting :D … but the reason I asked is that to the West of Barnsley, most of the exposed bedrock is Carboniferous

(354-290 million years old), in 2 main series. “Millstone Grit” forms the base of that series and overlying it are the “Coal Measures”. For sure that coarse

stuff looks like Millstone Grit but I suppose if you dig down, the formation also extends into Barnsley itself.

These rocks were deposited as sediments in an ancient coastal environment with large river deltas leading out into the shallow tropical seas covering much of Britain. Silting up of the deltas created extensive low-lying, swamps rich in dense vegetation and that’s where the Coal Measures were subsequently deposited – formed from compressed vegetation.

The “Coal Measures” are Upper Carboniferous and interspersed with layers of shale, clay, sandstone and mudstone. So you’re probably looking at material from the boundary area. The rocks are very rich in plant fossils (especially Calamites and Artisia) but you will also find marine shells and animals since there was repeated flooding and retreat of the seas throughout the Upper Carboniferous.

Incidentally, that’s a “pith cast” – from sediment that has accumulated in the central cavity of the stem of the plant and created a perfect replica. Calamites is related to the modern Horsetail, but grew much larger – effectively a medium-sized tree.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Painshill has good description. In the US we call the upper Carboniferous Pennsylvanian, and lower Mississippian. The basal Pennsylvanian or Upper Carboniferous was a time of erosion and such that these millstone grits or quartz pebble conglomerates were abundant in the fluvial deltaic systems. I know that Europe/Africa and US were close and colliding during this time, so I assume alot of the events of climate and tectonics were similar. We have some of these deposits in the midwest for example that are 20-50 feet or more thick and loaded with the quartz pebbles which are the eroded roots of the mountain belts formed along the continental collisions I believe. Calamities and other associated plants were especially abundant in our lower Pennsylvanian as I suspect it was elsewhere. There was a time of sea level drop before these were deposited, (drying and tectonic related) and then the paleovalleys filled here in NA, and along coasts. Some areas in western Illinois you have drowned estuaries as sea level rose and thick coals and marine deposits fill these, as you go east more of the grit from the erosion of mts to the east of us. Very interesting time!

That is an interesting time in earth history, those sandstones are quite interesting here in US, but it also appears in your area, enjoy looking at your sandstones, those are neat with the fossils of the plants from that time!

russ

This is a small amount of sandstone we have left from digging it up

Picture 4

IMGA0149.jpg

This is the wall my hubby is building... The piece in pics 1,2 & 3 is on the wall now... bottom right of this pic

Picture 5

IMGA0148.jpg

The first of those looks like it might be a piece of a Cordaite leaf - a primitive probable ancestor to conifers. Don't recognise the second one from what's left of it!

Roger