Going On Trip To Nc And Sc And Ga. Where To Look For Fossils

Beckyb

i am going to NC in a few weeks and one stop is Aurora museum. i am coming from Southern Alabama so traveling interstate 85 - 95 i think.

any interesting places to see?

any where to look for fossils or someone to guide me.

easy to get to and rather safe.

there is always the famous GMR. (Green Mill Run) It's about 45 min from Aurora. If you hit that place, I recommend wearing waders or boots. There is a lot of trash and TONS of glass in there, along with rusty metal, tires etc. You may be lucky in there (I'm not)

Aurora's teeth are better quality, but smaller. GMR is not always promising, but good finds occasionally come out of there.

I agree with Fossilz, you can also go to Belgrade in Maysville. I dont know a lot about it though because i have never been there.

: )

There are several mines that allow hunting on Fridays (only) You will be traveling I95 once you hit NC State lines I85 is to far west. As said above GMR is a good place along witht eh waders of boots you would need a sifter and some type of shovel would be good. If you are in SC and want to hunt Summerville is a good place to hunt. But only surface hunting is allowed. No tools or digging or sifters allowed....And all along the 2 states beaches are good places to scan at low tide.. You can get lucky and find some cool fossils. Jeff

there is always the famous GMR. (Green Mill Run) It's about 45 min from Aurora. If you hit that place, I recommend wearing waders or boots. There is a lot of trash and TONS of glass in there, along with rusty metal, tires etc. You may be lucky in there (I'm not)

Aurora's teeth are better quality, but smaller. GMR is not always promising, but good finds occasionally come out of there.

An old pair of shoes, boats, etc are fine. I personally wear kayak shoes to keep sand out. You will be fine. I could take you if interested. I have been very fortunate with many of my finds from that locale.

Hi Becky Welcome from Greenville, NC , If you get up with Rick or not you all can come by and see my Museum in Greenville I live 3 miles from GMR and I can tell you how to get to the Aurora Fossil Museum. Bring some 5 gal. buckets to but some of the dirt from the PCS Mine in to take home and get the fossils out of them in Aurora. E-mail me at powelli1@aol.com .Good luck on your trip. George PS Greenville is 1 hour east of I 95 and 1 hour west of Aurora.

Hi Becky,

There really isn't anything along I85 through Georgia or South Carolina, you'd have to detour quite far (a couple of hours in each direction) to get to anywhere worthwhile. Your best bet is probably to head to North Carolina and hit up GMR and the other North Carolina sites. Rocky Point is probably too far south if you're taking I85 to I95, but the one time I was there I had luck with echinoids and some other things, though not any big teeth.

Hopefully I'll make it out to a BPS trip some time this fall.

Don

If you are here on a Friday you could try to check out one of the quarries. They often allow collectors in on Friday.