Just Another Day At The Eurypterid Quarry.

Malcolmt

They're fantastic Malcolm! Congratulations!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

YAAAAAAAWWWWWN..... :)

Actually, that is quite an awesome haul. Heck, a good partial eurypterid would be an awesome haul for me....

Context is critical.

• 11 months later...

The Fiddler's Green formation unfortunately was totally blasted away during the past winter and is no longer exposed at the site. Previously it was only exposed in a slice about 20 feet wide by 200 feet long. The Fiddlers had pretty much exclusively very small eurypterids that were 1 to 2 inches in length. The area we normally hunt (Williamsville A formation) the typical eurypterid is 5 to 6 inches long. My understanding was that the Fiddlers was about 15 to 20 million years younger in age. You can certainly tell the difference in the matrix easily, the Williamsville is a grey color where as the Fiddlers is a tan colour with a lot of algal (stromatolites) dark black staining.

The Fiddler exposure ran east to west in the most south easterly section of the quarry and bordered on a flooded pond area.

Have you ever been to Ridgemount or are considering going??????

The little guy is absolutely pristine and could well be my personal favorite eurypterid I have ever found. And I have found a few really nice ones.........

The Fiddler's Green formation unfortunately was totally blasted away during the past winter and is no longer exposed at the site. Previously it was only exposed in a slice about 20 feet wide by 200 feet long. The Fiddlers had pretty much exclusively very small eurypterids that were 1 to 2 inches in length. The area we normally hunt (Williamsville A formation) the typical eurypterid is 5 to 6 inches long. My understanding was that the Fiddlers was about 15 to 20 million years younger in age. You can certainly tell the difference in the matrix easily, the Williamsville is a grey color where as the Fiddlers is a tan colour with a lot of algal (stromatolites) dark black staining.

The Fiddler exposure ran east to west in the most south easterly section of the quarry and bordered on a flooded pond area.

Have you ever been to Ridgemount or are considering going??????

Hi Malcolm,

You know I'm a stickler for details. :) The Fiddler's Green formation is below the Williamsville A & B units. That makes the Fiddler's Green older not younger. If you gaze south of our collecting area, the lower floor or bench is the Fiddler's Green. I did some test holes; but didn't come up with any little guys. That doesn't mean they aren't there though. Going to try and get back to Ridgemount soon. Somebody has to make new exploration holes.

Learn something every day, for some reason I always thought it was above the Williamsville A. I have fixed the post........

I tried the area south you speak of between where we collect and the flooded area near the pit wall last year for about 1/2 day and basically found nothing in . I believe Peter has also looked there a few times last year and this year with no success. I was there two weeks ago but it was a bit on the warm side. I am not going this week but will likely be going the following week.

Weather is now getting ideal again for collecting.... not too hot.....

Great finds, and a great offer. If I ever make my way out there I'd love to go with you! How do you get them out of the formation intact?

I wanted to get to Ridgemount today but couldn't make it. Hope you guys do well with a lot of "keepers". The 'saw' will make it there soon.

Malcolm nice batch of Keepers and that small one is fantastic-Kim and I are discussing a trip up to Penn-dixie and maybe over to ridgemont before the snow flies. I would like to again thank you and John for extracting my find this past June. Have you decided about coming down to Crawfordsville the end of Sept.?

Not sure about getting a trip in , won't do it unless I can find someone who will make the trip with me. Let me know if you come up and I will definitely do Ridgemount if you make it there.. October tends to be nice collecting weather there. We see more of John there as the weather gets less hot.

Malcolm we are looking at the first Friday in October and will let you know as soon as plans are finalized. I have a question I am going to purchase some dolomite but the company offers both dolomite and dolowhite are these the same? If not which is better as abrasive media? I have my blaster unit, an air eraser for larger specimens, the Chicago pneumatics air scribe and my 20x-40x stereo boom microscope arrives sometime this coming week, My work area is coming together. I upgraded my compressor to a 2hp 4cfm@90psi , 6cfm@40psi with a 17 gallon tank. Hope to see you soon and spend some quality collecting time with you.

JIm, I have used the dolomite and the dolowhite. I prefer the dolomite. Just make sure that the dolomite is relatively uniform particle size in the 50 micron range. 50 micron particles will pass through a 200 mesh sieve. Some dolomite comes with particle mesh sizes (not micron) ranging from 80 to about 320. Any thing that will not pass through a 100 to 120 mesh size sieve will cause your air eraser to clog. If I cannot get uniform 44 micron dolomite (ie Paleotools but it costs a fortune to ship it to canada) then I sieve my blasting media and put it into plastic containers containing what will just pass through a 100, 120 , 200 and 320 sieve. I throw away anything that will not pass through a 100 mesh sieve. I only use the 100 mesh material for rough matrix removal.

Malcom, help me out here, please. Williamsville A...is that in the Kingston area? Is there anything that has to be arranged to get in?

No that is exposed in the Fort Erie area at a specific quarry. PM me and I can give you all the details.

Chicago is not too far to make a trip out to hunt for them. Tie it together with a trip to Penn Dixie and you have the beginnings of a fossil adventure......

Chicago is not too far to make a trip out to hunt for them. Tie it together with a trip to Penn Dixie and you have the beginnings of a fossil adventure......

That would be fun and definitely a consideration, I've always wanted to take a trip there, I have 3 but bought them all :(