Is This An Ammonite?

moahunt1

I found these two in the weekend in a cretaceous site which also had plenty of sharks teeth fish verts belemnites and marine reptile bones.

Take a look Number one large ammontite thing

post-8711-0-55675200-1347224781_thumb.jpg

post-8711-0-19241400-1347224785_thumb.jpg

post-8711-0-08607600-1347224789_thumb.jpg

post-8711-0-14783100-1347224793_thumb.jpg

post-8711-0-03835900-1347224797_thumb.jpg

small ammonite thing

post-8711-0-94933400-1347224800_thumb.jpgpost-8711-0-29580200-1347224805_thumb.jpg

any basic id would be great!!!! thanks

Hunted for fossils in:
UK - Lyme Regis, Charmouth, The Thames and Hampshire (two trips)
Egypt - Desert somewhere near Giza - Nummalites and petrified wood
Australia - Lightening Ridge opal fields - opalised things!!!!
USA - Florida- Gainesville creeks and Diving in the Santa Fe river Meg teeth and 10 000 year old mammals
New Zealand- Around 30 sites visited and collected from. Including Chatham Islands. and now Canada

welcome to the strange ammonite thread!!!!!! :D

Hunted for fossils in:
USA - Florida- Gainesville creeks and Diving in the Santa Fe river Meg teeth and 10 000 year old mammals
New Zealand- Around 30 sites visited and collected from. Including Chatham Islands. and now Canada

Hi Moahunt,

The first , large one is a cephalopod anyway. It could very well be an ammonite, but it could just as well be a nautilus. Hard to tell since I can't make out the lobes. The second, small one is an ammonite, but practically impossible to even name the genus let alone the species, since it's extremely weathered.

fossilhunter2: Yours is something underneath with an ammonite lying on top, but I guess you know that already...

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thank you very much for that!!!! its officiaI found my first Ammonite in NZ whoop whoop very excited even it is just the tiny one!!!!!!!! I found them in the UK on holiday but not 40 minutes from home!!!! Yesss!!!!!! not worried about species just good enough to me that it is!!!!

Hunted for fossils in:

Thank you very much for that!!!! its officiaI found my first Ammonite in NZ whoop whoop very excited even it is just the tiny one!!!!!!!! I found them in the UK on holiday but not 40 minutes from home!!!! Yesss!!!!!! not worried about species just good enough to me that it is!!!!

Glad to see that you're happy. Love your enthusiasm. Now go out and find another one ;)

Thank You Ludwigia, but I dont understand, how about my "fossils", what is it?

Dear Mr. fossilhunter2,

Please stick to your own thread. I shall answer you there.

Huzzah! I'm happy for you!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

See if you can clean the first one better, it might help in the identification. Also the second one has what appears to be very simple sutures for a Mesozoic Ammonite, try wetting the fossils and taking more photos, that might bring out the suture lines better. Also what appears to be a Siphuncle in the second one is not in the outer rim or venter where it occurs in Ammonids. That may not be the siphuncle but if it is, it is probably an nautiloid.

Thanks so much. I wont take any of the matrix off the big one its really fragile and dont wan to break the shell. Ill see if I can get some wet photos up ta....... :D

Hunted for fossils in:

I am intrigued to see what this first one is!! the second is definitely an ammonite but I want to know about the first when you find out for sure!!