Unknown Fish; Please Help With Identification

Chris99460

Hi, I am trying to identify what type of fossil I have. I know nothing about the fossil; the origins. It is from an estate of a deceased person. The size is 12.5 X 4.5 cm I appreciate help identifying this fish.

IMG_4524.jpg

IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4522.jpg

It's an upside down Knightia. This is the second disoriented one lately. It's a great piece.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

We've fish aficionados who can probably come up with something (I'm certainly not one!).

While we're waiting, let me flip it so he's not floating belly up:

post-423-0-94985800-1347236650_thumb.jpg

EDIT: While I was about it, one of the afore-mentioned fishermen came through!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I should have added it is almost certainly from the Green River Formation. This places it from the Eocene. Again it's a very attractive fossil and would be a nice addition to any collection.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

You guys are fantastic! Thanks for the ID. I learned something new today and believe that this fish may have come from Wyoming. Thanks again!

The Wyoming origin helps nail down the ID and attribution. Wyoming is exactly where you would expect to find this critter. It's hard to tell from the 2D photo, but it seems to me that the lobes of the tail fin may be still obscured by matrix on the ends. The extant portion looks robust, so if it were mine I would prep it just a tiny bit more. Careful application (slight downward pressure) of a fine needle on the matrix close to the exposed area of fin may "pop off" more matrix. Alternately, the needle may be used to carefully scratch away additional obscuring matrix. Have fun.

Yup. Knightia alta. Decent one, too.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me