Saturday At The Nsr

wfrr

This is my first post since joining and introducing myself so if I break some kind of rule or screw something up please pardon me. You know what its like being a newby.

Saturday I escaped to the North Sulphur River with my best old bud (of over 40 years) to see what we could turn up. It was a beautiful day, esp in light of the previous weeks run of 100 degree plus temperatures we'd just endured. We entered and searched at two sites and pretty much had them to ourselves...that is except for the three snakes we managed to walk up on. One of them was a cotton mouth. We left them all alone and they left us alone.

I picked up 5 verts, one of them is huge and wider than tall.

post-9617-0-26853700-1347248083_thumb.jpg

I have to confess, even though I shelled out the big bucks for the North Sulphur River book and I've read everything I can find about Plesiosaurs and Mosasaurs...I still can't figure out how to determine which vert belongs to which. Maybe somebody could help out us newbys and give us a few tips on how to differentiate.

post-9617-0-10628500-1347248572_thumb.jpg

These are a couple of smaller ones. My pics are too big to load any more on this post. I'll need to get an editor.

There is another rather large vert that is wider than tall. Another vert has a lot of carmel color but is light weight, I haven't detected any definate mineralization. The color makes me think its rather old.

I also picked up a crumbling jaw section with some teeth and patched it back together with nail hardener and glue. Its ragged but its the best one I've found so far. Possibly Mosasaur.

We found some phosphated shells, some baculites, large oysters, a large red bed bone fragment some odd bone frags, a chunk of enamel we think is from a mastodon tooth, a tooth with some weight possibly ice age. We need to research it.

What we didn't find was any loose marine reptile teeth or any shark teeth. Every time we go we look and look and don't find any. I see people posting pics with loads of teeth. We must be going about it wrong. Ok my glasses are getting pretty thick these days but I can still see....I think.

All in all a good time, nice weather, mother nature, beautiful scenery, some much needed exercise, some good conversation pieces, some good conversation, two old old friends and yet another day of adventure.

Life is good, over and out.

Edited by wfrr

Welcome to TFF and not sure either about which critter your verts belong to except I do have a partial Mos vert and looks similar to yours. But I am wrong on ID's over 90% of the time... I find the teeth but verts in my hunting spots are like you and teeth... I would trade that most days unless its a Meg finding its way into my screen... Thanks for sharing great report too. :) Jeff

Hey maybe we should try screening for teeth too. Thats an idea. Any tips would be appreciated.

post-9617-0-35440600-1347297309_thumb.jpg

post-9617-0-75686000-1347297536_thumb.jpg

A couple of verts I couldnt fit on the original post. The second one is the one that lacks any certain mineralization.

If you look at my post from Saturday, you will notice I have a pile of various types of teeth... the gravel bars with lots of pebbles are where I find them. There are certain places in the banks that produce but if you've not noticed the banks (haha), they are kind of steep and that type of looking is not for everyone. My finds are not from sifting, but rather either crawling or squatting, and that was from one area.

Welcome to the forum from another Texan :)!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

sounds like you did great... i'd be quite happy with those finds, despite the 7 hour one way drive from my end.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Fossiladdict... believe me I did look at that post several times, what a great haul!! There are some obvious flaws in our methods since we don't find any teeth. The first place we went down was on the west side of the Pecan gap bridge. It was our first time to search there. We arrived just as several people in a couple of vehicles were leaving. I wonder did we just miss meeting you in person? If so we didnt find much there it was pretty clean so good job. Next time I'm going out with the intent of finding some toothies.