Even More Mammoth Fossils, Siberia

Scylla

How could they possibly expect to have living cells?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I don't think they could possibly mean actual 'living' cells. Perhaps they're referring to intact cells (or relatively intact, anyway). Even under relatively quick-freeze conditions on Earth, ice crystals would form in all of an organism's cells and cause irreparable ruptures of cellular components. That's why experiments in cryogenics are all done using liquid nitrogen (-346 oF to -320 oF)...when cells freeze at those kinds of temperatures it is thought that there isn't enough time for ice crystals to form and the cells might remain relatively intact. I can't picture any scenario that has ever occurred on Earth's surface that would generate temperatures cold enough to leave cells completely intact and capable of being re-animated.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Maybe something in the translation, but this is a quote of the lead scientist:

Only after thorough laboratory research will it be known whether these are living cells or not

All I can say is "Good luck!"

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I don't think they could possibly mean actual 'living' cells. Perhaps they're referring to intact cells (or relatively intact, anyway). Even under relatively quick-freeze conditions on Earth, ice crystals would form in all of an organism's cells and cause irreparable ruptures of cellular components. That's why experiments in cryogenics are all done using liquid nitrogen (-346 oF to -320 oF)...when cells freeze at those kinds of temperatures it is thought that there isn't enough time for ice crystals to form and the cells might remain relatively intact. I can't picture any scenario that has ever occurred on Earth's surface that would generate temperatures cold enough to leave cells completely intact and capable of being re-animated.

-Joe

How could they possibly expect to have living cells?

I think it is extremely unlikely that mammalian cells could survive being frozen naturally. To freeze mammalian cells and revive them you need to use something like DMSO to permeablize the cell membrane or glycerol to limit ice crystalization. We do this routinely in labs all around the world. But there have been successful experiments reviving plant cells after 30,000 years in a deep freeze. I guess that is the point of science, you don't really know until you try :P I wish them luck too!