Chengjiang Now Unesco Heritage Site

Sinopaleus

Interesting, I posted this to Trilobite and Trilobite 101 group also on Facebook, lots of cool things came from there and are out on internet for sale.... I have never seen one for that high maybe a couple hundred to 300 dollars.

Interesting, I posted this to Trilobite and Trilobite 101 group also on Facebook, lots of cool things came from there and are out on internet for sale.... I have never seen one for that high maybe a couple hundred to 300 dollars.

Unfortunately they are listed as illegal as well... :(

Personally, I applaud efforts to protect this important site. I am, at the same time, sympathetic to amateur collectors who may not be able now to add some of these amazing specimens to their collections, but I guess I fall on the "preservation for scientific study" side of the line.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Personally, I applaud efforts to protect this important site. I am, at the same time, sympathetic to amateur collectors who may not be able now to add some of these amazing specimens to their collections, but I guess I fall on the "preservation for scientific study" side of the line.

I agree wholeheartedly. I love collecting fossils and having them in my collection at home. However, some locations have the potential to answer deep questions about life here on earth. These locations should be protected and I am grateful to UNESCO for recognizing such quality in Chengjiang.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I have also heard there are thousands of fossil of Chengjiang being crushed up as the potash miners dig their pit... and don't really care about the fossils... it is just over burden.... to them.... their job is to get the potash out of the ground.

I have also heard there are thousands of fossil of Chengjiang being crushed up as the potash miners dig their pit... and don't really care about the fossils... it is just over burden.... to them.... their job is to get the potash out of the ground.

Getting the site listed will help to stop that eventually ... I hope.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

From the article:

Before 2004, the Chengjiang area was a major phosphorous base, with 76 million metric tons of phosphorous ore. But government shut down all the 14 mining sites in a single week.

Since 2006, authorities have invested 77.38 million yuan ($12.18 million) to preserve the former mine sites.

If this is accurate, then there has been no mining (at least at this site specifically) for at least 6 years.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The info came from a merchant who also collects for the local museum in Chengjiang fossils a yr ago.....that mining was still going on... for phosphorous.... hopefully the site is better protected now.

The info came from a merchant who also collects for the local museum in Chengjiang fossils a yr ago.....that mining was still going on... for phosphorous.... hopefully the site is better protected now.

I hope so to but....

The best fossile site in denmark (The diatomite cliffs - Fur Formation) is on The Heritage Agency of Denmarks list of tentative candidates for World herritage sites.

http://www.kulturarv...e-cliffs-moler/

Even if it become a world hearitage site they will continue mining for diatomite (approximately 200.000 tons a year)

post-7084-0-36289700-1348219394_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sylvestersen