Here's The Reason Arrangements Should Be Made To Donate Your Fossils Upon Your Death

MarkGelbart

Some cave explorers found a polar bear fossil in northern Kentucky in 1916.

If the identification was correct (of which I have some doubt), this would be by far the most southern locale for the species ever recorded. It's a one of a kind find.

This specimen just begs for a modern confirmation and study.

But as far as I can determine, nobody knows where the specimen is.

This is just one example of why fossil collectors should make arrangments to donate any unusual specimens in their collection upon their death.

Mark, I totally agree with what you said in your article about it being misidentified. Many of the early workers didn't have access to decent comparative collections, and in many subdisciplines in paleontology accurate and 'modern' taxonomy wasn't really developed until after the 1960's-1970's. Nevertheless, it does, it still highlights your point about donating.

just drive by my house the day after Im buried, my wife will have them all boxed up out at the curb and planning a new use for all the space they used to take up :)

Point taken.Also you need to fill your grave and coffin with your Mc.Donald wrappers and cover it .In a couple of thousand years people will dig your grave and wonder what cult did this.

Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

Seems odd to find a polar bear near Lexington since the glaciers didn't come this far south.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks