Peace River Bone Needs An I.d.

lordpiney

Hey everyone...

Last December i got to do my first Peace river hunt, thanks to the help of a great fellow fossil enthusiast. among the shark teeth, and other assorted fossils, i found this small bone. my question is...is it Amphibian, Mammalian, or Avian? if more pics are needed...just let me know.

996de975.jpg

985c0ee7.jpg

6ed13c64.jpg

Looks like a metacarpal/metatarsal from a mammal...From there it's pretty much guessing. Looks similar to some dire wolf ones I have, only a lot smaller. Perhaps its some kind of carnivoran.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

I will probably be wrong, I'm pretty new to this, that being said. It looks avian to me, possibly a ulna from a wing??? I'm not familiar with the different species in that area but maybe I can narrow it down a little! BTW, very cool congrats!

I am no expert, but the thinness of this bone speaks against a metatarsal or metacarpal. It looks like a long bone (femur, tibia, humerus radius or ulna) from a small creature, maybe frog? Bird arm bones are usually fused into wierd things that don't look like this at all.

I am no expert, but the thinness of this bone speaks against a metatarsal or metacarpal. It looks like a long bone (femur, tibia, humerus radius or ulna) from a small creature, maybe frog? Bird arm bones are usually fused into wierd things that don't look like this at all.

Good to know Scylla, I thought about a metacarpus but the joint didn't look quite right.... When you say fused into weird things what do you mean?

Oh, the carpometacarpus I think its called, like all the carpals, metacarpals and phalanges rolled into one! Idid not mean to say this is not a bird bone, just that I do not know enough bird anatomy to even guess :P If it is a metatarsal or metacarpal it seems to be from some very gracile creature...

Very cool, Phil. You go to a river looking for fossils, find mostly shark teeth, and toss in an odd bone. Then 6 months later you place it on TFF and PF IDs it as a possible Bobcat metapodial.

It is a good feeling, almost as good as going back to the river yesterday!!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Very cool, Phil. You go to a river looking for fossils, find mostly shark teeth, and toss in an odd bone. Then 6 months later you place it on TFF and PF IDs it as a possible Bobcat metapodial.

It is a good feeling, almost as good as going back to the river yesterday!!!

Yes it is a good feeling my friend! almost as good as when you took me to find it! lol. glad to hear your getting your sifter wet again. :P