Flint Tools?

Napoleon North

Possibly cores left after making tools. Where there several of them together?

Brent Ashcraft

One specimen found on a dirt road. A second gravel.

Which one was found in the dirt road?

the right-hand

Flint nice is not it?

post-1513-0-86737100-1347897772_thumb.jpg

post-1513-0-61866400-1347897782_thumb.jpg

post-1513-0-25085100-1347897791_thumb.jpg

post-1513-0-54384200-1347897800_thumb.jpg

post-1513-0-29660400-1347897809_thumb.jpg

post-1513-0-33791200-1347897817_thumb.jpg

post-1513-0-87167800-1347897828_thumb.jpg

Edited by Napoleon North

The look like tools to me but i am not sure. Anyway nice finds....

Nice finds? Blimey… let me know how many tonnes you would like! My pricing is very reasonable, but you pay the shipping cost.

Napoleon… or anyone else… here’s a little test for you. Which of the following 8 items are artefacts?

post-6208-0-30393600-1347905212_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-85127200-1347905225_thumb.jpg

Just as a clue, the answer is not “all of them”. There’s a mixture here… dug from my garden an hour ago; produced by me dropping a flint cobble from a height of 1.5 meters half an hour ago; from a nearby unsurfaced road, from the gravel bed of a dried up stream; from a sack of builder’s aggregate; from a Magdalenian site in France.

Bonne Chance!

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Hmmm ... I'm gonna have to say D.

:)

Seriously though, I'd go with #2 for a potential artifact since it shows signs of edge work and a nice pressure wave pattern on the face. #4 looks possible too, its all just guess work though. Still a fun little test, thanks for putting it together. I await my mark.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I rather like #4 as a candidate.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I rather like #4 as a candidate.

my vote too....shows multiple strikes from the same angle, location with a similar amount of force.

I’ll give the answers when Napoleon has cast his votes. I’ve shown 8 items and given 6 possible origins, including “artefact”. So you know at least one and perhaps as many as three items are artefacts.

The artefact period in question is Upper Palaeolithic (9,000 – 17,000 years ago) and overlapping into the Mesolithic. Exactly the period when there was an explosion in small bladelet technology… tiny denticulate scrapers, knives, gravers, composite multi-bladed items. All the items pictured have sharp cutting edges and/or points. You’re looking for things like intentional flaking, secondary working of cutting surfaces and such.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

• New Members

#8 is artefact?

is it #4 and #8 or zero artefact

and #3 also suspicious

Edited by cvi huang

Not every random piece of chert or flint found is an artifact. Just sayin'.

I go with #4 with the multiple looking strikes.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

OK… Napoleon didn’t want to play, but since I’ll be heading to the States for a couple of weeks very shortly I won’t make you wait any longer.

Number 1 is from a sack of builder’s aggregate; 2, 3 & 8 from me dropping a flint cobble; 5 is out of my garden; 6 is from an old stream bed and 7 was from an unsurfaced road.

Anything you can see that looks artefact-related is natural conchoidal or planar fracturing (because that’s how flint breaks), pseudo-faceting from frost or mechanical damage, edge-chattering from water tumbling and coincidental shapes that are merely suggestive of scrapers, blades or gravers.

Only number 4 is an artefact – a Magdalenian micro-blade scraper. Xiphactinus has put his finger on the main clues, but generally well done to all of you. As Herb says, not every random piece of flint is an artefact – however sharp or pointed it might be, however much it looks the right shape and however nicely it might seem to fit in the hand. That item shows clear evidence of intentional and logical working, has complete cortex removal, a shallow blade angle and the patination is uniform across the cutting and non-cutting surfaces. Also, it’s a known tool form (thousands have been found with exactly that design) and it came from a site with a known and relevant archaeological context.

If you find anything sharp or pointy that doesn’t have this kind of clear evidence, you can speculate all you like but you can’t definitively say you’ve found an artefact – particularly not if you found it on a dirt road or in a gravel bed.

Napoleon, those items are not artefacts. Neither are they cores. I don’t see any signs of percussion platforms, points of percussion, or other features associated with knapping techniques:

post-6208-0-57732800-1348216198_thumb.jpg

Edited by painshill

Roger

OK… Napoleon didn’t want to play, but since I’ll be heading to the States for a couple of weeks very shortly I won’t make you wait any longer.

Number 1 is from a sack of builder’s aggregate; 2, 3 & 8 from me dropping a flint cobble; 5 is out of my garden; 6 is from an old stream bed and 7 was from an unsurfaced road.

Anything you can see that looks artefact-related is natural conchoidal or planar fracturing (because that’s how flint breaks), pseudo-faceting from frost or mechanical damage, edge-chattering from water tumbling and coincidental shapes that are merely suggestive of scrapers, blades or gravers.

Only number 4 is an artefact – a Magdalenian micro-blade scraper. Xiphactinus has put his finger on the main clues, but generally well done to all of you. As Herb says, not every random piece of flint is an artefact – however sharp or pointed it might be, however much it looks the right shape and however nicely it might seem to fit in the hand. That item shows clear evidence of intentional and logical working, has complete cortex removal, a shallow blade angle and the patination is uniform across the cutting and non-cutting surfaces. Also, it’s a known tool form (thousands have been found with exactly that design) and it came from a site with a known and relevant archaeological context.

If you find anything sharp or pointy that doesn’t have this kind of clear evidence, you can speculate all you like but you can’t definitively say you’ve found an artefact – particularly not if you found it on a dirt road or in a gravel bed.

Napoleon, those items are not artefacts. Neither are they cores. I don’t see any signs of percussion platforms, points of percussion, or other features associated with knapping techniques:

post-6208-0-57732800-1348216198_thumb.jpg

Nice!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I somewhat sympathize with Napoleon. When my husband and I started looking for artifacts, we thought many (err...or most) rocks had been touched by human hands that were not. It can be confusing because broken flint can produce such sharp edges (no doubt why the native peoples chose to use it). Anyways, it wasn't until we found actual artifacts that we were able to see the deliberateness with which they were made. I highly recommend that you visit a local museum with an artifact collection or find a local club/collector that will show you actual pieces. I am sure you would quickly see the difference. :)

And that was great info, painshill! We are headed to a knap-in in a couple of weeks and I can't wait to see the process in action. :)

Thanks painshill, I wish I got to play the game :( Maybe you could put together a contest for us to get more practice?I would just recommend showing more than one surface of each unknown because I thought #2 might have been worked on the other side.

Fun test painshill, and great explanation. Thanks!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Your hopes are overriding the logical interpretation of the evidence; all that may reasonably concluded, in the absence of telltale markers not produced by natural means, is that these are chips and fragments of flint, and are indistinguishable from all the other natural shards of broken flint in the world.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!