Interesting Submerged Forest Post Glacial. Comparitive Example

ckmerlin

Hello to all

I went to this interesting site near to my locality

its a submerged forest which dates to just after the last glaciation. After looking at many upper carboniferous plant fossils found locally , I found it very interesting as a comparative exercise

There are fallen trees , tree stumps , and a layer of peat which overlies a thick gray clay

the peat contains various fauna including razor shells cockles , and small shrimp . The peat contains much woody plant material . Its not hard to envisage a similar scene in the upper carboniferous

when many of the forest got swamped due to rises in sea levels ,

I would be very interested to see if there are similar sites in your areas .

It would be interesting to see if there are any animal remains amongst the peat etc hmmm.

post-6560-0-81939700-1347868983_thumb.jpg

post-6560-0-46869500-1347869044_thumb.jpg

post-6560-0-97871800-1347869106_thumb.jpg

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Very interesting ckmerlin! Thanks for sharing.

Glacialerratic, I enjoyed reading your link. I never knew about those places. Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

ckmerlin.... Great photo's there... Intresting thread....Are all the trees fallen or is there tree stumps?....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Have you tried to get down to the gray clay?

In this area such clay could be important to finding fossils, that is if I am understanding my "mentor" correctly. The only area around here to hold dino bones was a spot where gray clay was noted.

Robert
Southeast, MO

• 2 weeks later...

ckmerlin.... Great photo's there... Intresting thread....Are all the trees fallen or is there tree stumps?....

Hi Terry dactyll sorry for late reply , there is a mixture of fallen trees and tree stumps

Have you tried to get down to the gray clay?

In this area such clay could be important to finding fossils, that is if I am understanding my "mentor" correctly. The only area around here to hold dino bones was a spot where gray clay was noted.

Yes some Pliestocene fossils have been found in the clay during research projects , but the site is protected so if I wanted to do any digging there I would have to get permission , but maybe something will get washed out