Free Cyber Course: Planet Earth

Auspex

Through Coursera, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is offering an overview of geology (including fossils and evolution), on-line, and for free!

Check it out: LINK :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Just signed up. Now I just have to find 8-10 extra hours per week ... sounds simple enough.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Me too! I was thinking about taking one here at Purdue, but I'll start with this course for now.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Has it been revealed when the next session will start?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Upon registering I received this info,"...class will start early in the New Year."

Many thanks to Auspex for pointing out this wonderful resource.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Awesome, I could use some updated information. The last college geology course was back in '84. I'll get some of that..... after I finish my electrical continuing education courses. Thanks for posting!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Thanks for the great news! I signed up last night so hopefully this can hold me over until I can get back into school! Done with one degree and here comes another! Thanks again!

Great ! looks like a good well set up course , I did one called Earth and life with the Open University a few years back so I can say that you will all enjoy this course nice one Auspex thanks for posting

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

I havent been in school in a LOOOOOOONG time. I want to start taking some courses, so what better way to knock the rust off the brain? This should be fun. Plus having a bunch of folks here taking it will make things more interesting.

• 1 month later...

My textbook just arrived; this is going to be fun! :)

post-423-0-81462300-1353178240_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks for the reminder Auspex. I had signed up a while back, but had not ordered the text. Now I have, thanks.

I ordered the text on the 17th. I got notice yesterday the order was canceled - "out of stock." 1 available, was posted when I ordered. I went back on Amazon and ordered from another vendor. It was about $20 more, ouch! I hope others will find a better deal.

Good tip smokeriderdon. Their price (with free ship) beats my purchase by $13. Of course the one I lost out on was $11 less than your find, which makes me really feel like I missed out. Just from viewing the prices on Amazon, folks interested in getting a text will probably be in the best shape by following your lead.

I have a recently graduated daughter, so I was not totally in the dark (or shock) regarding the current cost of textbooks. Lucky for me that smart rascal had a host of scholarship help, so ole Dad can spend a little on his book.

I too have signed up for the course. As I am in Turkey its ideal for me. I purchased the ebook verson of the textbook but the download failed. I will let you know when it works.

Great I wish you all the best of luck and hope you all enjoy the course

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Alright, got the text book today. Just waiting now for it to fire up.

Edited by smokeriderdon

I've signed up as well, just trying to decide whether to go for the ebook or paperweight version.

You know you're doing something right when your child asks, "When did Santa evolve?"

I've signed up as well, just trying to decide whether to go for the ebook or paperweight version.

I am hopelessly old-school in this regard. ;)