New Zealand Seal

Dave pom Allen

Heres a couple of New Zealand Miocene seal jaws i have found and prepared over the last month plus an upper that i am still in the process of working from that beach near here in Taradise

just thought i would share these and would like to hear your comments

post-1182-0-39193900-1348308218_thumb.jpg

post-1182-0-30294500-1348308242_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave pom Allen

Stunners! Has Bobby been to see you yet? This ought to do it...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow! :drool:

Dave, I'm always amazed by your finds.

Fantastic, as usual.

Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I find it highly unfair that in New Zealand you can both find fossils like these lying on the beaches and hike some of the most spectacular mountains in the world. :envy: Spectacular finds! Thanks for letting us see 'em.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I find it highly unfair that in New Zealand you can both find fossils like these lying on the beaches and hike some of the most spectacular mountains in the world. :envy: Spectacular finds! Thanks for letting us see 'em.

and be an extra in a Lord of the Rings movie! Very nice fossils, thanks.

Stunners! Has Bobby been to see you yet? This ought to do it...

not yet but i do hope he calls in this way as i have hundreds of marine mammal fossils that i am sure he would find interesting

Spectacular, Dave! You find the coolest stuff, and your prepwork is outstanding. Congratulations, and thank you for sharing!

Steve

These are neat...... Im going to have to come up and have a fossick with you when I get less poor!!!!!! I like how you have worked them...... :D

Hunted for fossils in:
UK - Lyme Regis, Charmouth, The Thames and Hampshire (two trips)
Egypt - Desert somewhere near Giza - Nummalites and petrified wood
Australia - Lightening Ridge opal fields - opalised things!!!!
USA - Florida- Gainesville creeks and Diving in the Santa Fe river Meg teeth and 10 000 year old mammals
New Zealand- Around 30 sites visited and collected from. Including Chatham Islands. and now Canada

Wow, those are pretty fantastic - they're not immediately reflective of modern antarctic phocid seals (the only seals in this part of the world today) and appear to be something else entirely. The new zealand fossil pinniped record is really poorly known, and it would be great to see these. Will these be part of the donation to Te Papa?

Wow, those are pretty fantastic - they're not immediately reflective of modern antarctic phocid seals (the only seals in this part of the world today) and appear to be something else entirely. The new zealand fossil pinniped record is really poorly known, and it would be great to see these. Will these be part of the donation to Te Papa?

Hi Bobby, I have compared these to phocid seas that i have been able to get my hands on and they are completely different the jaw shape and teeth of the two bottom jaws and the nasal section is longer and a lot broader from the skull frontal section, and the skull craniums i have are also different. I haven't been to TePapa for some time and the basement collections on Tory street, I havent considered donating these but have contact with TePapa are they know what i have and that they can call on me anytime and have, also the team at GNS are in contact regularly and are very interested in my finds even Ewen might be interested in some of the cetacean material. your welcome anytime. Dave

Hey Dave,

I'll do some looking around in the published literature and see if I can find any matches. That pinniped rostrum will probably turn out to be fairly important (as well as those mandibles!). IIRC you have a braincase as well. To be honest, a solid chunk of a master's or ph.d. thesis could be done on those fossils if they were donated; I predict that they will almost certainly turn out to represent new species.