Turtle From The Oligocene, Ne

Texas Fossil Hound

It has been a while since the DPS hunt in the Chadron and Brule of Nebraska back in May of this year, but I am finally getting to prep a turtle I dug out of a high cliff wall. I had to cut footholds to get to the white object protruding from the cliff. Hoping for a skull of some Oligocene mammal, I discovered a turtle (Stylemys Nebrascensis) with about an inch of the carapace visible. Thinking I might be looking at a full turtle, I decided to extract it. After 2 hours of digging, glueing and wrapping, I slid back down and tucked him into my pack. Once home, he went into the queue for prep.

So now I am working on him and I thought I would share the results so far. I know it is not a 100% complete turtle, but I am having fun extracting, cleaning and re-assembling. My wife affectionately has dubbed him "Puzzle Turtle". The shell is proving to be fragile, because the pieces are extracted and cleaned in sections.

post-4709-0-61097400-1348467428_thumb.jpg

View of the plastron (bottom) of Puzzle Turtle as found and wrapped. To stabilize, I first dug around the fossil, pedestalled the best I could at that height, saturated the find with Elmers glue/water solution. Then carefully wrapped the top in layers of aluminum foil, rolled him out, poured in more glue/water and wrapped more foil before packing out.

post-4709-0-58554700-1348467545_thumb.jpg

This is a view of one plastron section prior to cleaning.

post-4709-0-14181000-1348467570_thumb.jpg

Same plastron section starting to be visible.

post-4709-0-21277400-1348467553_thumb.jpg

The carapace side of the same section. I know after looking at these that there are a few sections missing, but I think it is 90% or more there.

post-4709-0-61979300-1348467581_thumb.jpg

Same carapace section after cleaning the surface.

post-4709-0-96036600-1348467609_thumb.jpg

Still a long way to go. The carapace remaining to be worked.

post-4709-0-98747900-1348467596_thumb.jpg

Note that inside the matrix of the turtle, there are more shell segments I decided to extract.

To be continued...

Jon

Edited by Texas Fossil Hound

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

...more progress.

post-4709-0-53332300-1348469540_thumb.jpg

Here is what the 2 major sections of the carapace look like together. The section on the left is not yet cleaned.

post-4709-0-92405600-1348469550_thumb.jpg

The progress of cleaning the other side of the carapace. This one is proving to be difficult due to how fragile the sections are.

post-4709-0-01981200-1348469561_thumb.jpg

This is how it is today. I am still extracting matrix from the center, but the pieces are all gluing together pretty well. I am waiting to glue everything together until I can finish fit-checking all the pieces. Unfortunately the turtle was compressed before it finished fossilizing and not all the pieces are fitting together smoothly. Its not bad, but being off a little causes differences at juctures in the fossil.

post-4709-0-49718400-1348469570_thumb.jpg

It is coming along nicely! I will post more as I continue to make progress.

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

I wouldnt even know it was a turtle looking at the first pics lol but that is a very nice job so far, waitng for the end results of the turtle :0)

Regards

Meint

www.skph.dk

I agree some members when they said: it did not seem a turtle, but astonishing material.

Hello and best wishes from France!

cool. we grabbed a couple turtles of our own last week.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice Jon, glad I finally get to see it. Hearing all the stories about that lady you helped with the rhino skull was interesting :)

Edited by CreekCrawler

Nice job in keeping it all together in what sounds like a tough extraction. You're obviously a very patient person being able to reassemble it. I gave up on trying to reassemble the turtle that I found. It crumbled out of the jacket when I tried to flip it.

I'm sure we're all looking forward to the finished project. Keep us posted along the way.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA