Todays New Spot And River Walk!

fossilnoob

Decided to go check out a spot Ive been questioning for a while now and I didnt think I would find anything. Well I was wrong. Cephlapod city. Thanks to a good friend Squalicorax for identifying the area as Maquoketa formation and I should have done my homework before I jetted out there(Thanks again). First it was just little brachs, I know the name and its on the tip of my tongue but can not remember and Im having the hardest time finding my pdf.

post-3055-0-68708800-1349132677_thumb.jpg

Receptaculites fragments. I noticed bigger pieces in bigger rocks but I didnt feel like ruining what was in there so I just took what fragments I found

post-3055-0-00833300-1349133131_thumb.jpg

And now for the kicker. I left that spot and went on to the river and decided to walk a little. This is where I saw the Receptaculites(sorry I should have stated that before) and a few more cephlapods in limestone, not the shale I was working with before so I decided to leave them. As I was walking I noticed there were mini plates of brachs laying all over the place and could probably figure the whole town is sitting right on top. Then I noticed some bone fragments, red in color. So I followed them up to the river bank where I started finding a little bit of everything. First excited then I thought well Im NO expert when it comes to mammal anything so I started to question animal or human( Referring to the little guy with the root still attatched cuz that was one of the first things I found in the little area). So far I have one comment and its a cow. Any other takers ?

post-3055-0-53800700-1349133521_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilnoob

The pygidium is a Calymene, judging by the other stuff you found, it looks Ordovician, so my bet is towards Flexicalymene sp.

Awesome thanks. was a little different from the others I have thats why I put a ? after that. Thanks bud.

Wow! Those cephalo's are sweet! The brach's are either Hiscobeccus or Lepidocyclus. Not sure which one. And here's a link to a thread where Harry Pristis hooked me up with pictures and numbers for lower bison molars. The tooth at the "top" of your teeth picture appears to be a lower bovid molar of some sort. It could possibly be bison. I've pulled two from that river this summer. (no pun intended lol) http://www.thefossil...0424-jaw-bones/

Edited by Rob Russell

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Thanks guys! I've been trying to find another location nearby to that one! I think I just found my favorite local formation. I'm going to try to make it out there again and search for some more trilos. That was the whole purpose of going out there! I have to do so more research on exactly what to look for!

• 2 weeks later...

and two more that Im having a hard time putting a name on! I also have another nice ceph but I need to reconfigure the pic to fit, so ill post that asap.

post-3055-0-01387400-1350002565_thumb.jpg

post-3055-0-85422700-1350002577_thumb.jpg

The brachiopod is Dalmanella in the maquoketa and -> http://strata.uga.edu/cincy/fauna/articulata/Cincinnetina.html in indiana kentucky and ohio.

The bivalve is related to http://strata.uga.edu/cincy/fauna/bivalvia/Cyrtodonta.html Cyrtodonta. Im not sure if that is the exact.

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets