Chandler Bridge Formation, Summerville, Sc Question.

masonboro37

I may be planning a trip down to Summerville, SC later this fall to hunt for shark teeth and other marine fossils. I have been researching the Chandler Bridge Formation and the area in Summerville, SC. About a 4 hour drive for me to get there. Looks as though some major, gorgeous shark teeth come from this formation. I found that the formation is late Oligocene and some of it resides in Dorchester County, SC. I have found where the creek is, but not sure about if there is good access points. Someone mentioned to me that there used to be an area behind the YMCA. I am just curious if anyone knows of good access points to the creek? Any help is greatly appreciated and I am excited to hopefully go.

Libby

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Sawmill Branch, right? Avoid the YMCA access...I had VERY little luck when I walked it. I followed a pedestrian/bicycle trail that bordered the creek for a while, stopping at productive-looking gravel bars with some success.

Im not very familiar with the Summerville area, and havent had much success during the last few trips ive taken up that way. I would be happy to show you around the Charleston/Mt. Pleasant area for some sharktooth sites if you're interested.

I plan on going to the summerville area in mid january, maybe we can go togather and share all the spots and have a big huge trip! i know of 3 or 4 right now.

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

Sawmill Branch, right? Avoid the YMCA access...I had VERY little luck when I walked it. I followed a pedestrian/bicycle trail that bordered the creek for a while, stopping at productive-looking gravel bars with some success.

Im not very familiar with the Summerville area, and havent had much success during the last few trips ive taken up that way. I would be happy to show you around the Charleston/Mt. Pleasant area for some sharktooth sites if you're interested.

Hi CBK. Not sure about the Sawmill Branch. I am not familiar with the area except for the info I have found online. A friend has been, but he will not disclose his special spot to me. I understand his secretive protection! He just said "YMCA and walk from there". I appreciate the offer to show me around the Charleston/Mt. Pleasant area and I will keep you posted when I plan to make my way down. Thank you very much!!!

Edited by masonboro37

Good luck Zach tell me what you find from "the site". Also good luck to you too masonboro and when the time comes post your finds.

: )

I plan on going to the summerville area in mid january, maybe we can go togather and share all the spots and have a big huge trip! i know of 3 or 4 right now.

Hey Zachj! Brrrrrrr, mid January. That is an idea for a group trip! I still want to try this fall. How was the luck in your spots?

exactly in january many fossil hunters will not go fossiling when its to cold, so i will sneak in and get all the finds!!! plus i have waders and most ditches in SC have little water in then.\

and trevor have you asked about maryland

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.