Scavenged Crab

CH4ShotCaller

I started prepping this fella a few weeks ago, posted a picture 'cause he had a frown. After Roz mentioned legs could be under another crab I worked on a few days ago, I took the dude off the shelf and started the slow grinding process.

Looks like something tore him up. I left the 'burrow' that enters the front carapace. First glance, I thought it was some wood or other organic matter he was feasting on upon his demise, but under a magnifying glass, no structure. Plus, his legs are busted up and in all sorts of places they shouldn't. The top of the carapace has separated from the bottom.

post-7395-0-33963800-1349997904_thumb.jpg

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Here's another shot:

post-7395-0-35987400-1349998018_thumb.jpg

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Yes, maybe some creature was having a few nibbles on the little guy..

I must say your images are excellent..

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Roz...... you've got me started on a new path. I've got some good ideas on prep and display... all from your comment. I need to start looking around the shrubs and bushes in the back yard for a few I 'tossed'. Thanks again! :)

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Alrighty, I'll add another shot:

post-7395-0-74297300-1350012051_thumb.jpg

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

........and one more.

post-7395-0-64585200-1350012252_thumb.jpg

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

U are shur getting good at prepping glad to see u getting to work on them

Thanks! I honestly got some ideas from Roz. Some of these I tossed over the fence into the blackberry vines and they're ten feet high! I got another one submitted for October 2012 Fossil of the Month. That's the one Roz inquired about for me to expose below the carapace. I'm thinking that some of these types could have a lot of character and presentation qualities. I'll give ya a call soon.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

That is a molt. You will see some of the craziest looking crab remains in molts. In the Britton formation the Notopocorhystes dicrus crabs are abundant and you find all kinds of wierd upper carapace/lower carapace/leg configurations.

That is a molt. You will see some of the craziest looking crab remains in molts. In the Britton formation the Notopocorhystes dicrus crabs are abundant and you find all kinds of wierd upper carapace/lower carapace/leg configurations.

That sounds like a good answer. Especially when the carapace seperates.

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Wow Dude!

leaps and bounds with your preppin skills in the last few months right on! Just a carapace lol wow arent we spoiled here in the northwest! .

Sweet! Gettining that 'attaboy' from the master does make it worth while! Gonna hit the over hangs soon, wanna go? B)

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

That is a cool crab. I have crab fever at the moment! Wish there was an area near me to find nodules with ole crab fossils. I have only found one carapace in my life time. You are so fortunate! Thanks for sharing!

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

That is a cool crab. I have crab fever at the moment! Wish there was an area near me to find nodules with ole crab fossils. I have only found one carapace in my life time. You are so fortunate! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you! I've been watching your posts/pics/reports and you're in a great place to collect too! When I was a wee fella, I lived not too far from where you collect..... we had no idea waaay back then. Oh, crab fever is incurable. :D

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif