Largest Snake That Ever Existed Titanoboa !

ckmerlin

Hi all , I had the pleasure of watching an excellent t.v program the other night

regarding the discovery of the largest snake ever found Titanoboa found in a coal quarry at cerrejon Colombia ( I think the spelling and location is right my apologies if not )

thought to exist 10 million years after the cretaceous extinction event

has anyone else seen it ? if not its worth watching

http://www.smithsoni....do?show=140671

its estimated that it grew to 48 ft !!!!! :o:wacko:

Edited by ckmerlin

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Come on by and make his acquaintance! LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I had the chance to see that show. Animating the snake trying to pass through the door was funny. =P The other animals that came out of these coal fields, like the giant turtles, were equally amazing!

I had the chance to see that show. Animating the snake trying to pass through the door was funny. =P The other animals that came out of these coal fields, like the giant turtles, were equally amazing!

Yes Redleaf101 I agree especially the snub nosed crocs , almost as big as the snake :o :o

48ft long! CRAZY! Makes me wonder how big of a fish tank i would need for that guy!

errm yes ... im not helping to catch it for you ...ill watch from a great distance with my telescope along with the other chickens lol :)

Come on by and make his acquaintance! LINK

cool link

I saw the exhibit in Washington D.C.- it was huge!

Id love to see the exhibit ..if I ever get over the pond I will

• 2 months later...

The giant snake takes me to the Conan Movie with Arnold, except the real thing was bigger than Hollywood's. I watched "Creature Feature" growing up and the staple theme for all those old B Horror flicks were radioactive waste washing upon the shore and viola!! Insta-giants. I am a collector of those giants now, i am only interested in the largest of each species. Titanoboa fossils are right here in my backyard practically (The University of Gainesville) I am in Jacksonville. I have made multiple email attempts to contact the people that work with Titanoboa, no reply.

Edited by clesley

OK, I missed this first time around. Guess I will be making a trip to the Smithsonian with my son here soon.

• 3 months later...

The exhibit is now at the Florida Museum of Natural History. I saw it a couple of weeks ago. I just wish the gift shop had offered some kind of souvenir book/booklet about the site. It did have the DVD of the show that ran on the Smithsonian Channel.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/exhibits/limited-time-only/titanoboa-monster-snake/

I saw the exhibit in Washington D.C.- it was huge!

Saw a great oil painting of this snake at the NY State Museum. I snapped a photo of it with my phone and use it as my wallpaper.

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png