Calvert Odds & Ends

cowsharks

So, one pics shows a conglomeration of teeth that I found over the summer along Calvert Cliffs; not everything of course, but some of the teeth that haven't been put away yet. The other pics are of some things that I don't find very many of and are a bit more uncommon if not flat out rare. I need some help ID'ing a few of the shell specimens.

For example, the set of pics that shows a shell made of this silver/shiny colored exterior, which by the way is so flakey it isn't funny. In 16 years of collecting, this is the largest "in-tact" piece of this type of shell I have ever seen; it was collected in-situ out of the zone 10 layer. I'll probably try to coat it with some elmers/water mixure to stabilize it. I've always wondered if this "shell" is actually the "inside" of the riginal, but the white part just didn't preserve?

Next, there a couple pics which show these tiny (1/2" and smaller) shells (reddish brown color). These also were collected in-situ from the zone 10 layer, and to my knowledge, they only exist in this layer. They too are very very fragile and normally break up just by touching them. Any ideas as to what they are?

As for the other odds & ends, there's a couple pics of some fish scales. The one on the left is the largest I have ever seen/collected. Unfortunately it was broken when I found it, but by screening more of the sediment, I was able to find the other half and glued it back together. Note the fine lines/striation on the one side. I think the two-tone color comes from where the next fish scale overlaps with this one and so forth? Just a guess. Any ideas as to what type of fish they could be from? Tuna? Sturgeon?

Lastly are a couple pics of a Limpet shell I found in-situ as well. Actually, I found it, set aside on top of a clay boulder for safe keeping, and then forgot to grab it as I packed up hours later. I went back two days later and it was still sitting there! I've only got about 3 or 4 of these complete shells in all my years of colelcting along the cliffs. If you look closely at the underside, I think you can see where the animal attached to the shell?

Ooops, almost forgot to mention my 2.5" white Meg - also very very uncommon. Normally, any "white" teeth are poorly preserved and break up easily. In your hand this tooth weighs like a small tiger shark tooth.

Enjoy.

Daryl.

post-2077-0-07575000-1350360137_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-89722700-1350360138_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-39281900-1350360140_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-82829100-1350360141_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-27005000-1350360143_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-12165800-1350360145_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-44694900-1350360195_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-97336800-1350360196_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-30559500-1350360198_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-02260900-1350360200_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-01768600-1350360202_thumb.jpg

Edited by cowsharks

Next, there a couple pics which show these tiny (1/2" and smaller) shells (reddish brown color). These also were collected in-situ from the zone 10 layer, and to my knowledge, they only exist in this layer. They too are very very fragile and normally break up just by touching them. Any ideas as to what they are?

Daryl

Nice finds. Here is a link that shows some more examples of these. They are the inarticulate brachiopod Discinisca lugubris. Their shell is phosphatic. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/27790-tertiary-brachiopods/

The bivalve is Atrina harrisii Dall, 1898; below it are brachiopods Discinisca lugubris (Conrad, 1843) and the limpet is Diodora griscomi (Conrad, 1834).

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Daryl

Nice finds. Here is a link that shows some more examples of these. They are the inarticulate brachiopod Discinisca lugubris. Their shell is phosphatic. http://www.thefossil...ry-brachiopods/

Thanks Al Dente, looks like you are spot on. I had no idea these little shells were brachiopods. It was really neat to finally find a couple that weren't already in pieces. Knowing how rare they are to find complete I can appreciate the times when I find a complete one.

Daryl.

The bivalve is Atrina harrisii Dall, 1898; below it are brachiopods Discinisca lugubris (Conrad, 1843) and the limpet is Diodora griscomi (Conrad, 1834).

Thanks MikeR, you too are spot on with those ID's. I googled all of them and found images of other specimens. That silvery bivalve always intrigued me. I thought for sure it was just the inside of a shell or something. Curious to know if other collectors along Calvert Cliffs have ever found a complete one of these. I know the St. Mary's formation further south in MD has ton's of shells in it, so if this shell is there, there's a better chance to find one whole.

Thanks a bunch for the ID's.

Daryl.

Those are excellent finds, Garyl!!!

Especially, I admire this ''conglomeration''!!! I have been donated some shark teeth but I wish I could find just one tooth in Crete,they are so rare here, though... Just a few have been found over the years...

Very nice and important the help with the shell ids, aswell!

Astrinos P. Damianakis

As for the other odds & ends, there's a couple pics of some fish scales. The one on the left is the largest I have ever seen/collected. Unfortunately it was broken when I found it, but by screening more of the sediment, I was able to find the other half and glued it back together. Note the fine lines/striation on the one side. I think the two-tone color comes from where the next fish scale overlaps with this one and so forth? Just a guess. Any ideas as to what type of fish they could be from? Tuna? Sturgeon?

So, I think I can answer my own question here. After a liitle google searchin' I think these large fish scales belong to Tarpon. The google images I found for "Tarpon fish scales" look very similar to the ones I have posted here. As mentioned before these things are pretty rare. I think I only have about a dozen or less in all the years collecting, and the majority of them are just fragments; they are obviously really thin and tend to be brittle and flakey.

Daryl.

nice hemis! and love the pattern on the meg tooth

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

Thanks MikeR, you too are spot on with those ID's. I googled all of them and found images of other specimens. That silvery bivalve always intrigued me. I thought for sure it was just the inside of a shell or something. Curious to know if other collectors along Calvert Cliffs have ever found a complete one of these. I know the St. Mary's formation further south in MD has ton's of shells in it, so if this shell is there, there's a better chance to find one whole.

Thanks a bunch for the ID's.

Daryl.

About 15 years ago there was a large cliff fall at Matoaka which exposed an incredible amount of Choptank out into the bay. I came across and collected a complete Atrina harrisii however since they are incredibly fragile, it did not make it home. I have a piece of it maybe a little larger than yours that I kept as a memento of what could have been. It is is related to the modern Pen shell that frequently wash up on South Florida beaches (see picture). Your shell would have had a dull outside layer which rapidly flakes off exposing the mother of pearl nacre when the shell is exposed to the elements.

post-1906-0-17374500-1350425225_thumb.jpg

Large accumulation of Atrina rigida (Lightfoot, 1786) washed up on Sanibel Island, Florida. Decmeber 2011.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

About 15 years ago there was a large cliff fall at Matoaka which exposed an incredible amount of Choptank out into the bay. I came across and collected a complete Atrina harrisii however since they are incredibly fragile, it did not make it home. I have a piece of it maybe a little larger than yours that I kept as a memento of what could have been. It is is related to the modern Pen shell that frequently wash up on South Florida beaches (see picture). Your shell would have had a dull outside layer which rapidly flakes off exposing the mother of pearl nacre when the shell is exposed to the elements.

post-1906-0-17374500-1350425225_thumb.jpg

Large accumulation of Atrina rigida (Lightfoot, 1786) washed up on Sanibel Island, Florida. Decmeber 2011.

Hmm. Interesting. Matoaka always seem to have more shells than shark teeth or vertebrate material in general. Too bad your complete Atrina didn't make it home intact. Did you use anything to stabilize the remaining portion so it doesn't fall apart? My specimen is drying out right now, and I figured by this weekend I would "paint" a coating of elmers/water mixture over it, or maybe even soak it in the mixture like some folks do to hold vertebra together.

Thanks for the new word "Nacre" for my vocabulary as well. Reallygood info on that and helps explain where it gets that iridescent look.

Daryl.

Here are a few shots of a block full of those shells, Try as I might I couldn't get a section of that matrix to stay together long enough to bring home and prep.

post-281-0-15563100-1350433454_thumb.jpgpost-281-0-52470000-1350433466_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-06110400-1350433478_thumb.jpg

Here are a few shots of a block full of those shells, Try as I might I couldn't get a section of that matrix to stay together long enough to bring home and prep.

post-281-0-15563100-1350433454_thumb.jpgpost-281-0-52470000-1350433466_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-06110400-1350433478_thumb.jpg

Neat. Thanks Kevin. The last pic of the close up shows the original exterior I think of the shell. The silvery iridescent layer is just beneath it partially exposed in your pic. And here I thought these things were "rare" .... I guess I was right about more of them being further south from where I normally collect.

Daryl.

Daryl. Like your white tooth. I once found a white Hemipristis there and it is so light it feels almost like a modern tooth in weight.

Neat. Thanks Kevin. The last pic of the close up shows the original exterior I think of the shell. The silvery iridescent layer is just beneath it partially exposed in your pic. And here I thought these things were "rare" .... I guess I was right about more of them being further south from where I normally collect.

Daryl.

Actually that was taken at a northern location I have seen you at frequently. :ninja:

Actually that was taken at a northern location I have seen you at frequently. :ninja:

Interesting...I'll have to pay closer attention to those blocks of material. I usually only look at those tan/orangeish colored blocks with all the shells in them because that's where I usually see pieces of ecphoras sticking out.

Daryl.