Collecting The Silurian

Archimedes

Collecting the Silurian is always exciting, the chance to find some nice fossils is good. We first went to some spots way off the road, quite a long hike, a 40 min walk, the trail was over grown in some spots, ah the weather was great for fossilin. We spent 4 hours at the first spot, I started to find some nice Troostocrinus and by the time we left I had found 7 specimens, a nice growth series. Although you can find Troostocrinus in these Silurian outcrops they are rare, I had an exceptional day, I had not found any Troostocrinus at this spot for years. We also found some sponges, brachiopods and corals at the same spot. Some of the Sponges are spectacular from this area. The next spot was a 20 min walk, I found a Lamtocrinus, sponge, brachiopods and corals. The last spot was a road cut with lots of foot prints all over, I did manage to find the trilobite pieces, brachiopods, gadstropds, and a piece of a nautiloid there, I am happy they left me a few fossils to find.

Troostocrinus, Pisocrinus, Lampterocrinus

post-385-0-33194800-1350502199_thumb.jpg post-385-0-89306100-1350503067_thumb.jpg

Dalmanites, Phacops??, Merista, Atrypa, Dalejina

post-385-0-65584000-1350503224_thumb.jpg post-385-0-64508300-1350503250_thumb.jpg

Astraeospongia meniscus, Varieties of Astylospongia

post-385-0-33579300-1350503297_thumb.jpg post-385-0-61086200-1350503337_thumb.jpg

Favosites obpyriformis, Favosites beechensis, Anisophyllum agassizi

post-385-0-99705600-1350503375_thumb.jpg post-385-0-05957700-1350503401_thumb.jpg

Platyostoma Platyceras (Platyostoma) cornutum. Nautiloid

post-385-0-14012900-1350503449_thumb.jpg

Edited by Archimedes
  • Enjoyed 1

Hi Archimedes,

The first two trilobites are dalmanitids.

The third trilobite is a proetid; Proetus or similar. What formation are you collecting?

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

very nice silurian suite...i dont often get to hunt the silurian so thanks for the eye candy

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Hi Archimedes,

The first two trilobites are dalmanitids.

The third trilobite is a proetid; Proetus or similar. What formation are you collecting?

M. Siurian, Brownsport Group, Beechriver Fm., Astraeospongia meniscus Zone of w tenn, this area has been collected for over 175 years now, the hills eroded when they stripped the trees off the area to make charcoal for the iron indusrty before and during the civil war, this area is still known as the "coalings"

Edited by Archimedes

Super nice finds arc. Those sponges are divine. And not to mention the trilobite.

Thanks squalicorax, some of the best paleozoic sponges i have ever seen come from this area

very nice silurian suite...i dont often get to hunt the silurian so thanks for the eye candy

Thanks Dan, Its nice when you find some nice stuff, at times in this area you do not find much and at times you get lucky, its very irregular.

Thanks JimB88 and Nandomas for your comments, Troostocrinus are one of my favorite fossils to find in the Silurian of this area.

Those sponges are fantastic! It's taken me 25+ years to find 6 or 7 complete examples in the Silurian dolomite here in NE Illinois. Thanks for sharing!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Those sponges are fantastic! It's taken me 25+ years to find 6 or 7 complete examples in the Silurian dolomite here in NE Illinois. Thanks for sharing!

hi Rob

Thanks for your comments on the sponges, we find several nice sponges when we collect the area, there are alot of small round sponges though, what type of Silurian sponges have you found?

Edited by Archimedes