Fossil Shark Tooth Repair Folks

cowsharks

I have a couple 4+" Megs from Calvert Cliffs that need repair; one tooth is missing about 1/2" of the tip on the crown, and the other tooth is missing a portion of root lobe. These are really nice teeth and would look so much nicer if repaired properly. These teeth are close in color to the typical Lee Creek colors, and I've heard that repairing lighter colored teeth, as compared to dark colored teeth from the Carolina/GA rivers, is a bit more difficult? Anyhow, a person that was recommended to me apparently no longer repairs teeth and has moved on to other projects. So, can anyone recommend a good person for doing these types of repairs? Feel free to send me a PM if you want to contact me directly or not advertise anyones name/contact info.

thanks,

Daryl.

ps. I tried using the search feature here on TFF because I'm sure folks have asked for this type of info in the past, but I wasn't able to find anything.

Consult www.DrGomer.com . Gomer does exceptional, museum quality restorations. His work is so good that you would never know the item was repaired unless you were told. However, all of his repairs are UV enhanced so that the repair work can be seen when viewed under a UV light.

Consult www.DrGomer.com . Gomer does exceptional, museum quality restorations. His work is so good that you would never know the item was repaired unless you were told. However, all of his repairs are UV enhanced so that the repair work can be seen when viewed under a UV light.

Thanks. I'm checking them out now.

Other recommendations are welcome too.

thanks in advance.

I'd go with Matt for speed and price, but that's not to say that he doesn't do very good work. He tends to only do teeth, so he's getting exceptionally good at them.

I'd go with Matt for speed and price, but that's not to say that he doesn't do very good work. He tends to only do teeth, so he's getting exceptionally good at them.

Thanks THobern.

Here's a pic of two of the Meg type of type I want repaired...just to give folks an idea what I'm looking to have done.

post-2077-0-92645100-1350612352_thumb.jpg

Edited by cowsharks

I had one repaired by him. I have nothing to compare to, but not sure I would call it museum quality. It is very obvious the tooth was repaired. The section of root he replaced looks very different than the real root. I think he did really good on the small bit of enamel that was missing though. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent repair, but you can easily tell it has been repaired. But I am often too critical. Just my experience.

Edited by RickNC

I had one repaired by him. I have nothing to compare to, but not sure I would call it museum quality. It is very obvious the tooth was repaired. The section of root he replaced looks very different than the real root. I think he did really good on the small bit of enamel that was missing though. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent repair, but you can easily tell it has been repaired. But I am often too critical. Just my experience.

I'd be interested in seeing photos. I've seen and handled Matty's repairs since he started over 4 years ago, so I'd feel fairly comfortable making a comparison.

I'd be interested in seeing photos. I've seen and handled Matty's repairs since he started over 4 years ago, so I'd feel fairly comfortable making a comparison.

I'll try to get some up. Overall I am happy with it. Just feel the added root could be closer in color to the real stuff.

Thanks folks. I sent pics to both Dr. Gomer and Matty to get estimates etc. I've had some folks tell me that restoring/repairing lighter colored teeth is a bit more difficult than the really dark colored teeth. I guess with lighter colored teeth you can't hide imperfections as well as you might be able to with the darler colored teeth? And with the lighter colored teeth (like the one on the left in my earlier pic) that have other colors running through it (blues/grays/tans), it takes a real artisit to match those.

Daryl.

• 2 months later...

Daryl,

Did you get those teeth repaired. Would love to know who you finally went with and how it turned out.

Rancher: "It takes me three days to drive across my ranch."

City Slicker: "I used to have a car like that!"

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 6 years later...

This last post was almost seven years ago.  I guess he went with the more lengthy repair time. :heartylaugh:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I know a few people who repair and restore teeth.  I've never heard that lighter-colored teeth are harder to do.  Whatever the color, it's a matter of matching the paints to the tooth, and as we all know, a tooth's color is usually not uniform.  There are shades of color, and sometimes mixed together, with interrupted darker and lighter splotches of other colors that have to be accounted for.  It takes an artist at that point.

The client shouldn't mind if there is a slightly noticeable difference between the fossil and the restoration.  He wants a better looking tooth but he shouldn't want it to be impossible to tell the difference.  It may be debatable whether it's an ethical problem for someone to show off an apparently perfect tooth that he has had restored without saying it's restored.   A problem does arise if the tooth gets sold and maybe traded and resold again.  Somewhere along the line, the restoration may be forgotten (or "forgotten") and that line may end up with a very unhappy buyer and seller.

Just to be clear on terms, when you're replacing original material like a tooth tip or a root lobe, that's restoring.  When you're putting a broken off piece back on the specimen, that's repairing.  When you're stabilizing/filling in a crack, especially a bad one, that can be called repairing too.

Jess

• 2 years later...

Hello Everyone,  Just bringing this topic back up.  I realize it's been almost 10 years since these were posted, but I tried to search for both drgromer and mattysmegs.  Both websites aren't up anymore and I couldn't find anything recent online for either of them as well.  Are they still doing repairs or are there any new folks doing amazing repairs / restorations these days?

• 3 weeks later...

Trying again to see if there's anyone that still does amazing museum quality restorations?  I found one person, but they don't seem to want to do them anymore.  The only answer that I received when I contacted them is that they were expensive and had long turn around times.  No other details.  Thank you for your help.