How Should I Preserve Fossils In Chalk?

JeepDigger

Hey all, I have a little block of chalk from western Kansas that has lots of little fishy bits in it (including a small jaw bone) that I would like to preserve it. I've been showing it off a little too much lately and haven't damaged any of the fossils but every time I pick it up little bits of chalk fall off. Is there anything I can put on this block to protect it and keep it in one piece?

post-9498-0-09777900-1350521337_thumb.jpg

Edited by JeepDigger
  • I found this Informative 1

There are all manner of consolidants available, the most desirable of which will not cross-link and are reversible. For occasional light handling, something as unsophisticated as a hosing-down with hair spray could do the trick.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You might want to try that hair spray on the back side before you spray it on the bone. If I were you I'd go down to walmart and buy a tube of Duco cement. You can also use some acetone to dilute some of it and paint it over the entire block of chalk. Paint the back and edges first, and then after it dries (A few seconds) turn it over and paint the "show" side. The less you dilute it, the more it shines, so you might want to experiment a little on some chalk fragments. If you get it too shiny, you can use acetone to clean some of the glue off to reduce the shine.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Personally, I like to leave my finds as "natural" as possible. However, if certain parts become flaky or brittle I put some of this (see link) on it.

http://www.bhigr.com...p?productid=262

I agree, I prefer to leave it as close to how I found it as I can. Do you dilut this stuff and what mixture do you use? I ordered some last night. I have a few other little pieces that are not as impressive that I am going to do some experimenting with the other methods too just to see how they turn out. I'll put some pictures up when I get them all done.

JeepDigger - you got the perfect stuff! It will come as plastic beads. I usually mix up about a gallon in a laundry detergeant bottle. Fill the bottle with acetone and add some of the beads. (If I recall, there are instructions). I usually make a somewhat thick mixture in the bottle and then thin a snall amount as necessary in a small tupperware container. For your piece shown, I would make a VERY dilute mixture and paint it on the bones only with a small brush. It should soak in. Everything will be exceptionally brittle until the plastic hardens. If you do it right, you won't be able to tell you've done anything. The bones will be a little darker, but try to keep it off the chalk. Good luck!

Edited by Xiphactinus

Keep it off the chalk? This may be a stupid question but if I dont "preserve" the chalk too than wont it keep coming apart over time? The bones are fragile but the chalk itself is pretty fragile too. I would like to keep the whole block the way it is right now (maybe with a little more clean-up on the bones first) and it seems to me that if the chalk keeps breaking apart the fossils will inevitably succomb to the same fate regardless of whether or not they are protected? I don't plan on playing catch with it or anything, but I'd like to keep it as it is the first time I have collected from the chalk and found fish parts!

Keep it off the chalk? This may be a stupid question but if I dont "preserve" the chalk too than wont it keep coming apart over time? The bones are fragile but the chalk itself is pretty fragile too. I would like to keep the whole block the way it is right now (maybe with a little more clean-up on the bones first) and it seems to me that if the chalk keeps breaking apart the fossils will inevitably succomb to the same fate regardless of whether or not they are protected? I don't plan on playing catch with it or anything, but I'd like to keep it as it is the first time I have collected from the chalk and found fish parts!

If this was my fossil, i'd cut a rectangle of 1/4" plywood or similar about 1/2" wider than your matrix on all sides. Take posterboard and using duct tape, build a "box" around the plywood. Put the fossil on the center of the board and pour plaster around the matrix. Let it fill the box, but keep it lower than the surface of the fossil. Once the plaster hardens, remove the posterboard. You'll be left with a very strong piece that you can handle without touching the chalk at all.

I've done this several times with good results. Sometimes with large fossils.

here's a squid pen from the chalk that is over 2 feet long.

http://oceansofkansa...is-Garrett1.jpg

After everything is good and dry, you can dissolve some chalk in water and "paint" the plaster with the slurry. When it dries, you can't tell the plaster from the chalk.

Edited by Xiphactinus

If this was my fossil, i'd cut a rectangle of 1/4" plywood or similar about 1/2" wider than your matrix on all sides. Take posterboard and using duct tape, build a "box" around the plywood. Put the fossil on the center of the board and pour plaster around the matrix. Let it fill the box, but keep it lower than the surface of the fossil. Once the plaster hardens, remove the posterboard. You'll be left with a very strong piece that you can handle without touching the chalk at all.

I've done this several times with good results. Sometimes with large fossils.

here's a squid pen from the chalk that is over 2 feet long.

http://oceansofkansa...is-Garrett1.jpg

After everything is good and dry, you can dissolve some chalk in water and "paint" the plaster with the slurry. When it dries, you can't tell the plaster from the chalk.

Ohhh... I like that idea! That will be perfect! Thanks for all the great advice everyone, there really is no substitute for experience!!!