Strange Imprint In Stone

chele

This one has me stumped. Half of this thing was still covered by rock and when I removed the upper portion of the rock there was bone in the impressions. The bone was badly preserved. I will try to take the thing home because it is very odd. I found this only one hundred feet from the new Triceratops site Blaine had found, so I presume it is from the same period. Anyone have an idea of what this could be.

post-5476-0-37598500-1350956483_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-16552400-1350956520_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

Another great find! I too can't help with an ID but I congratulate you on a great fossil. :popcorn:

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Crikeys! Now THAT is STRANGE! It seems fairly obvious that you're working in terrestrial strata (hence the veritable cornucopia of Triceratops fossils you're getting) but I can't picture any portion of a terrestrial beastie's anatomy that would look like THAT! Are you sure you haven't been playing around on the old set of the movie 'Alien'? That looks like some of the parts of the critter from the movie.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that the rock it is in is full of shells, gastropods, and plants. This rock layer stretches all across the property. It is about four feet thick. I find dinos above and below it. The Triceratops sits right above it and is hard digging. I do not believe it is a frill imprint. I have seen many variations of frill but nothing like this. I wonder if it was a marine animal? :zzzzscratchchin: Blaine already said it looked like something from the movie alien..gives me the creeps.

Edited by chele

Chelebele

I think it is a hadrosaur jaw.

Can't say from experience but it definitely fits the way their teeth are described.

Kosmoceras makes a good point. But I would say the impression of a jaw with battery teeth. The actual bone has fallen away leaving the negative impression.

Yes, my immediate impression is of a Hadrosaur jaw, sans dental battery.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

To me it does resemble the lower jaw of an Edmontosaurus shown here. But this is way outside of my knowledge zone ... so yeah. Regardless, it's a really cool fossil!

Chele, what's your dinosaur species tally for 2012? If I remember right you've posted everything from T rex, to an ankylosaur, to the triceratops(es), and now this. I guess my real question is, when does the museum open? :)

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett