Another Triceratops Found!

chele

Blaine had found a new Triceratops a couple of weeks ago. We have not had much time to dig on it but the little time we have spent there has been awesome. Blaine has pulled out two complete vertabrae, big frill sections and a large femur so far. There are still many bones to dig out but I do not know if we will have time this year because winter is quickly approaching.The good news is that his new site is only one and a half miles from the house. The bad news is that it is extremely rugged. We can not get a pickup or backhoe near it. A four wheeler is the only option. Blaine pulled out the large femur yesterday and mounted it on the front of the four wheeler. It was so heavy that he had a hard time steering. The four wheeler has power steering but it did not help much. The photo below shows the size of the femur. The bones are so hard and perfect he plastered right on the bone, Blaine did not take any dirt with it because he wanted to cut down on the weight. So you are seeing the actual shape of the bone. He uncovered a large section of frill that has a cone depression in it. He thinks it might be from a T Rex bite. If it is that would be so cool! The bones from this site is very different from the other Triceratops site. These bones are very smooth and colorful. The color is a very dark brown and have a gloosy surface. They are beautiful! We are very excited about this site and so curious to see what else pops out of it.

post-5476-0-86281900-1350957608_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-86422600-1350957637_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

Seriously?!! :) sweet

Im going to have to agree with KansasFossilHunter...Seriously?!! :)

wow, yet another amazing find, are there any depressions on the other side of the frill? how long will winter keep you from hunting?

What another one? You already have one...better toss it back :P

Seriously though, amazing find!!! :envy: Can't wait to see what parts you unearth next!

Way to go Chele and Blaine!!! Can't wait to see the rest of this fossil. :goodjob:

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Congratulations on another great find!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Amazing! Congratulations to you both. What an opportunity to be able to be out there digging up dinosaurs...every kid's dream!

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Amazing.... again as with your last one ............those are real fossils!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Malcolmt

We are very fortunate to live in such a fossil rich environment. I wish we had more time to hunt. Sunday is the only day of the week we can hunt. Unfortunately the sundays off will soon be over. Blaine will start working cattle and it is a seven day job until about may. Not to mention the snow will be here soon also. If our winter will be like last year we will be able to dig a little. But Blaine said it will be a long cold winter judging by all the fat the deer have. He has not had time to hunt a deer yet because his only day off is devoted to fossils. He had helped process a few deer and he said they all had 1 1/2 inches of thick fat.(I do not know if it is scientific or just a cowboy thing) I will soon find out if he is correct. We do find a lot of trike material but we also find T Rex. I have a lot of rex bones(mostly small) and a lot of raptor stuff. Blaine had found a very large rex femur that is very nice. He always tells me I am the lucky one...I am thinking it is the other way around. I think it is because he has more muscle and can dig harder and deeper than me!

Chelebele

Wow, I thought my grandpa was lucky to live in the old days with the dino bones he could find in Drumheller - this looks like the heyday in the 1800s!

What about the winter freeze, does that affect the bones that you have to leave out there and if so what can you do to protect them until Spring?

Stunning Chele, another big find! Just to say I have not forgotten about those trilobites, they are being sorted now (finally got onto them after finishing preparing the chalk fossils) so yours will be out once I am done with the cleaning!

wow. i think i would have had a heart attack after one dinosaur fossil. the fact that you find fossils from multiple species is really a dream for most fossil hunters. wow. great finds.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

It just keeps on getting better and better! You are in an incredibly rich dino area!!

You are both doing an excellent job! I'll bet you are so glad you moved..

Welcome to the forum!

We went digging on sunday and it turned out to be a very productive day! We pulled out a very nice rib. We also dug out an illium, ischium and pubis bone. Blaine had removed the femur last sunday. There were also a lot of very big frill sections and various other bones brought home that day. We have removed a lot of bones so far. We will go back again on sunday to remove a couple of bones that are still visible. We will leave the site until next spring to remove the rest. The rest of the bones will be protected by the dirt still covering them. It is going to be a long winter knowing there are a lot of bones buried about three feet! I posted a photo of the rib bone and a few of the bones I have to prep this winter. The cold, long winter nights will not be so boring now! I also put in a photo of the new site.

post-5476-0-32689000-1351567368_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-77164100-1351567417_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-37705800-1351567469_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

We went digging on sunday and it turned out to be a very productive day! We pulled out a very nice rib. We also dug out an illium, ischium and pubis bone. Blaine had removed the femur last sunday. There were also a lot of very big frill sections and various other bones brought home that day. We have removed a lot of bones so far. We will go back again on sunday to remove a couple of bones that are still visible. We will leave the site until next spring to remove the rest. The rest of the bones will be protected by the dirt still covering them. It is going to be a long winter knowing there are a lot of bones buried about three feet! I posted a photo of the rib bone and a few of the bones I have to prep this winter. The cold, long winter nights will not be so boring now! I also put in a photo of the new site.

Like the middle picture, rib and chocolate cake, awesome combo. Enjoy seeing your finds, I know it is difficult to wait all those months until being able to dig again. With all your discoveries , I am going to invest in aluminum foil as you guy's use a lot, which is a great way to transport fossils like your mega bones, stocks I'm sure are on the rise---Tom Edited by Foshunter

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Congratulations.... twice in a lifetime? :o ... And I don think your finished finding stuff yet....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)