Upper Cretaceous

Hit The Deck

My daughter found this on the HGMS field trip to Midlothian Texas last Saturday upper Creaceous possable Atco Formation or the chalk above? is this a jelly fish? I'm not sure what to look for to ID. She said it was a TV lol

post-2688-0-38599800-1351280943_thumb.jpg

She has a good eye, Fred & Wilma Flintstone's TV, I don't have a clue what it is, hope you get an answer---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

As it seems to bridge two layers of the rock, I will suggest that it is a mineral stain, infiltrated after the layers cracked and separated slightly; the darker area is the last point of close contact before complete separation.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree, a mineral stain, or possibly due to differential oxidation. Sometimes oxygen can penetrate a certain distance into the rock, oxidizing the periphery and causing a color change, for example in iron minerals. The center remains unoxidized, and so has a different color.

Don