Finally My First Great White

Fabienne

Hello everyone,

Today was a very good day for me as I found my first Great White.

Last time we went sharktooth hunting, my husband told me there were a few heaps of sand on top of the hill containing shells.

Since he's not interested in shells, he didn't search them and I was already tired and ready to go home.

Today I went sharktooth hunting alone and when I was ready to return home, I found a big Pygocardia on top of the hill. Then I remembered what my husband said last time and I wanted to take a look and see if I could find some more nice shells. As I was going round the last of the three small sand heaps, I saw something blue in the corner of my eye. It was just laying there on top. I thought to myself : Well, it's probably going to be another hastalis but it looks like a very nice one. And as I picked it up, I saw the serrations. I was so happy, I called my husband at work ! It does have a piece of the root missing but the beautiful color makes up for that. It measures 1.59 inches. Then I searched all 3 heaps again because I was so crazy to think that I'd find another one. That didn't happen of course.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures but I had little daylight left and I couldn't wait until tomorrow to share this with you.

post-6809-0-07289100-1351358327_thumb.jpgpost-6809-0-08815200-1351358339_thumb.jpg

Regards, Fabienne

Congratulations! It is a beautiful tooth :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Congrad's Fabienne..... :fistbump: I remember when I found my first Great White in a Eocene deposit in New Jersey U.S.A....The root was all intact which was very surprising for the local. Enjoy your wondeful find.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Nice tooth!!! I do get a lot of great fossils here in Florida, but not GWs - Have to travel north for those. Congrats SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice tooth!!! I do get a lot of great fossils here in Florida, but not GWs - Have to travel north for those. Congrats SS

Uh, not all that far really. This one came from just southeast of Tampa. I have more from the Kissimmee River dredgings.

Carcharodon05-sml.jpg

Edited by Paleoc

Curious Paleoc,

I have been fossiling the Peace and surrounding rivers for 4 years. I have found LOTS of Megs and Makos, numerous tigers and sand tigers, even some 6-gills, but exactly one 1.25 inch GW.

By the way, fantastic Great White -- I may have to figure out how to get to Kissimmee!!!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"