Monster Echinoid Hunt!

masonboro37

I was at a quarry yesterday with some great new friends from the ECFC in NC. There were just three of us for the trip and we had a great time. We were all on the hunt for the monster echinoid, Hardounia kellumi.

The Cretaceous, Peedee formation here in NC does give up the echinoids with patience. Not only was the weather great, but the fossil hunting was spendid! I managed to find five monsters and many smaller mortinis echinoids.Not one crab carapace was found in my special spot. Thought I could maybe find another crab, but to no avail this time around. I did find a cool internal mold of a gastropod. I usually only find bits and pieces of these. The gastropod was found in an area bordering the Cretaceous pit. I wanted to share some pic's from the day. I usually only spend two hours there, but I was there for about 6 hours. Great time!

post-7899-0-50278600-1351378633_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-18546400-1351378654_thumb.jpg

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Libby---Nice echinoids, show us those beauties after you prep them, thanks for sharing----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Nice, Libby!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thank you everyone! It was a great trip and those echinoids were such a splendor to find! I am slowly prepping these monsters. This hard matrix is like cement and very frustrating! I have done a quick vinegar soak and then the almost a weekend water bath for them. I am using my dental amalgam carver, small spoon excavator and a dental hatchet for the prep work. Any advice is appreciated. I usually find the echinoids with less matrix, but not this past time. :)

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".