Chubutensis?

Megaselachus13

Hi all,

Years ago I bought on Ebay this tooth, I bought it as a megalodon but I'm not sure what is it. Supposedly Miocene of North Carolina (Aurora area).

In my view there are two options, one is to be "a little" pathological megalodon or a chubutensis with bizarre shapes due to it's size. What do you think about it?.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

post-559-1224066421_thumb.jpg

post-559-1224066479_thumb.jpg

I think it's a beautiful Meg. The little "bump-cusps" turn up from time-to-time.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I don't know the size of the coin you're using for scale, but I would call it a chubutensis, and a nice one at that.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

That's a really nice Pungo fm. tooth, and it looks like it has some size to it. I have seen a few teeth with that type of enamel folding near the root. Although it looks more meg-like to me I would not be surprised if the lateral and posterior teeth from that shark had small rounded cusps. I have seen a couple of associated tooth sets with megalodon teeth in the front of the jaw and chubutensis teeth in the back. Most of the chubutensis teeth I have seen from the Calvert and Pungo formations were fairly small teeth, around three inches and less. Most of the large teeth I have seen from these formations, around four inches or larger, don't have cusps or only have only a very slight hint of cusps. I have always felt that most chubutensis matured into megalodons. Something similar can be seen in modern Great White teeth. Many of the juvenile jaws I have looked at contained teeth with small cusps. The early to middle Miocene was a transition period for chubutensis-megalodon, so where does one end and the other begin?

I don't know the size of the coin you're using for scale, but I would call it a chubutensis, and a nice one at that.

It's an old US Liberty dime. Same size as today's Roosevelt. Nice tooth.

quote name='Megaselachus13' date='Oct 15 2008, 06:28 AM' post='32020']

Hi all,

Years ago I bought on Ebay this tooth, I bought it as a megalodon but I'm not sure what is it. Supposedly Miocene of North Carolina (Aurora area).

In my view there are two options, one is to be "a little" pathological megalodon or a chubutensis with bizarre shapes due to it's size. What do you think about it?.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

As stated by PaleoRon, lateral cusps on Miocene teeth appear generally (never say never) limited to teeth of about 4" or less. If present at all in larger sized teeth, lateral cusps are usually evident only in vestigial form. Using the dime for comparison your excellent example would appear at, or maybe even exceed, the size range of Miocene teeth (at least from Lee Creek) which commonly exhibit lateral cusps.

Teeth from the Pungo at Lee Creek can exhibit well developed lateral cusps and range downward in size to mere "bumps" on the crown margins at the point of juncture with the root.

Attached are three photos of Lee Creek teeth showing teeth with well developed (at least for Miocene teeth) lateral cusps, a few with moderately developed cusps, and a few with just the mere suggestion of cusps. All forms are just developmental stages en route the the end product of Carcharocles megalodon.

post-294-1224100828_thumb.jpg

post-294-1224100884_thumb.jpg

post-294-1224100936_thumb.jpg