Unknown Claw Core (pleistocene)

kauffy

Hey Everyone! this has stumped me. Firstly, found from a late pleistocene fissure in Florida. Its unusualy large compared to many other claw cores found in the same material. Its very thin, like a raptor, but it doesnt have the strong curve that you would expect a bird of prey to have. Im not even sure if it is bird, it could be mammal? what does everyone think?

post-142-1224067702_thumb.jpg

post-142-1224067721_thumb.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Probabaly Heron/Egret.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey Everyone! this has stumped me. Firstly, found from a late pleistocene fissure in Florida. Its unusualy large compared to many other claw cores found in the same material. Its very thin, like a raptor, but it doesnt have the strong curve that you would expect a bird of prey to have. Im not even sure if it is bird, it could be mammal? what does everyone think?

I can't tell much of anything about the claw core from your images. Keep in mind that skunks have large, digging claws on their front feet.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

hmm thanks for the opinions guys, Harry, i dont think its skunk, much too large and i have Identifyed the skunk claws from the materia and they are smaller and broader.

So wading bird seems to be the concusion?

It's smaller than a Great Blue Heron's, but there are strong structural similarities.

post-423-1224099119_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks a lot for that comparison pic Auspex, indeed there are many structural similarities. Im glad i got an Identification for this! :D