George Powells Museum In Greenville

zachj

This morning i went to greenmill run thinking that hurricane sandy may not have rose the water level at gmr much but it did, by alot. The water was way over my neck in most spots and the current would take you down stream. After alot of frustration i had an idea. I went to the 10th street bridge and dug near the bank where the water level was only to my knees. The finds were meager but did manage to find a 3 1/2 inch worn meg with the tip banged up of it. After that the real excitement began, george's museum. We arrived and told george that gmr had clamied my shoes( the current took them) so i just went in there barefoot. The museum is on the right directly when you enter. When i walked in i saw georges paratodus bendeni, he said he dontated the real set and this was a reconstrution. Then i saw his xipodon teeth and he other fossil shark teeth recontrutions. He had some huge 3 inch makos in the reconstrtion. Then he showed us some potamac river otodus and grandis teeth. After that we saw all his megs and The qualodon he found. Then he shoed us the thousands of shamer teeth hed found in his life and gave me a pretty red meg, the onlt flaw was it was a little worn. after that we had to leave because mom had to show a house.

Question i found this weird tooth in gmr and im curious what it is.

post-7255-0-25580600-1351451933_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-83147400-1351451937_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-21178200-1351451942_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-68493200-1351451946_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-28443200-1351451951_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-62158300-1351451955_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-12798400-1351451960_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-46801500-1351451964_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-93854500-1351451968_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-30983600-1351452009_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-14292600-1351452014_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-24990200-1351452019_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-03855400-1351452024_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-73945200-1351452028_thumb.jpg

post-7255-0-55904100-1351452033_thumb.jpg

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

I've heard about his place from a couple people. Is it his home or an actual museum? How do you go about looking at his stuff there?

And yeah, GMR rises with even a little rain. I'm really surprised you even attempted it.

i was very dissapointed at first. while floating downstream i thought i was going to die, but i made it to the bridge and survived. I dug in the bank a little and was surprised i did as good as i did i scored some nice 1 inch goblins and a nice worn 3 inch meg. i just wish i could have hunted down stream more.

And its at his house, its amazing. He has some amazing teeth. He stayed with me and my mom the entire time and tought me about various things and showed me all his potamac river megs and aurora megs. Hes a great guy and he makes the aurora fossil museums collection seem like a little girls collection compared to his.

That looked like it was a cool trip,,,and some great looking shark teeth.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

any ideas on that weird tooth

It looks like a small mammal tooth of some kind...It doesn't appear to be fossilized,,, judging from the photo . The color of the root properly was caused by the minerals in the stream

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

i was very dissapointed at first. while floating downstream i thought i was going to die, but i made it to the bridge and survived. I dug in the bank a little and was surprised i did as good as i did i scored some nice 1 inch goblins and a nice worn 3 inch meg. i just wish i could have hunted down stream more.

Zach,

I hope you don't mean that you dug in the fossil layer on the bank of the stream. It is illegal and is a good way to get the stream closed to collecting. Better to come back another day and screen the gravels in the streambed.

i did shovel the bank but its not part of the layer, its where people would throw their spoils from sifting the screen bottom/

I have found a modern dog tooth that looks similar to the tooth you found. Kind of scarry because it is not fossilized.

george said it could have been a squiral tooth, the thing is the roots neon orange wich i think is pretty cool

here several photos from my friend George P. museum :))) Every time I go there, i learn something new and exciting :envy:

http://www.paleonatu...rge-w-powell-jr

Zachj, I am happy you did GMR safely... for the future, don't play with creeks during hurricanes :wacko:

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

you guys sure you dont know what type of tooth this is? its a molor, not a canine. Its pretty small, about a quaater of an inch. please help

you guys sure you dont know what type of tooth this is? its a molor, not a canine. Its pretty small, about a quaater of an inch. please help

Much better pictures are needed, with one being of the occlusal surface.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!