Last Trips Echinoid Finds Finally Prepped

Foshunter

These are a combo Eocene and Oligocene echinoids, from the road construction piles, that were pretty well limestine and coin fossil (Foraminifera) encrusted. After prepping discovered three of the same species that I hadn't found before, always looking for something new which makes the hunt more interesting. Some were more difficult than others to prep, especially the Eocene ones that temd to have calcite growing on them which takes time to remove. Am trying to put together the tools and methods I use cleaning the softer limestone from echinoids and post, hoping others that have similar prepping problems can us it for their locally found fossils---Tom

post-3940-0-07227100-1351467112_thumb.jpgPrior to prepping, some discarded due to being broken

post-3940-0-84237200-1351467198_thumb.jpgClypeaster oxybaphon, the one in the center is the largest one found so far

post-3940-0-74350600-1351467424_thumb.jpgThe first juvenile C. oxybaphon I have found

post-3940-0-43944300-1351468166_thumb.jpgUnknown species covered with calcite crystals

post-3940-0-73494700-1351468270_thumb.jpgMy first Eocene Weisbordella johnsoni revealed after prep

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Oh wow, very pretty!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

I always enjoy seeing quality echs.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks Lyla, Dan, surfergirlatx and Nando, it's always facinating when the matrix comes off revealing a fossil that hasn't seen the light of day in millions of years---Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Tom,

How did you prep them? Just this weekend, I started cleaning some echinoids I collected at the Vulcan Mine near Brooksville, Florida and some that were given to me from Live Oak, FL. I noticed some of them cleaned up a little just being soaked in water with some light toothbrushing. I haven't tried vinegar yet.

I have some from a trip to Haile Quarry near Gainesvill a couple of years ago.

Jess

Nice prep and sea urchins !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Tom,

How did you prep them? Just this weekend, I started cleaning some echinoids I collected at the Vulcan Mine near Brooksville, Florida and some that were given to me from Live Oak, FL. I noticed some of them cleaned up a little just being soaked in water with some light toothbrushing. I haven't tried vinegar yet.

I have some from a trip to Haile Quarry near Gainesvill a couple of years ago.

Jess

Jess---Look in Fossil Preperation tools and techniques in the Forum, covered how I prepped them---What can be found at Haile Quarry, can you post some pictures?--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Killer Echies! Congrats!

Thanks Brent, as you know it's satisfying when a prep goes your way, some when the matrix comes off aren't complete, I lucked out---tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Thanks Coco and nala, after seeing your collections I am humbled at your comments--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Nice one's good trip :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks