Newbie, Info On Digging/removal Of Fossil.

itwasntme

Hey guys/gals, Theres an area at my office that had dozer and excavator work done about 3 years ago, when walking around Friday I was checking out the cliff and happened to see a piece of a fossil sticking out, I started removing some of the dirt and noticed there are several in the same area, on about the same level, I removed one of them (if I done it right its the 3rd pic.) as you can see I didnt do the best job, some of it broke off. Attached are photos of the area, the level that I found the fossils are primarily surrounded by shale, some clay and a few areas of sandstone/sandrock, shale being the most of it. If anyone has any info on how to remove these without damaging, it would be greatly appreciated. The second pic i drew a couple lines to show about the level the fossils are.

post-10188-0-98476500-1351519965_thumb.jpg

post-10188-0-37594300-1351519996_thumb.jpg

post-10188-0-43748600-1351520020_thumb.jpg

Nice Pennsylvanian plants there. They can be hard to remove in such areas. I suppose a slow chipping of the rock around the log I see in the first photos is the only way to maybe remove anything of that size from the shales. I see several others in the photo as well but that one really stands out!

Thanks trilobiteruss, the first pic of the fossil thats still in the hill is actually just about the size of a US quarter around, maybe a little bit bigger.

Maybe expose the log from above by removing rock and then when it is all visible then chisel it free from underneath...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thanks trilobiteruss, the first pic of the fossil thats still in the hill is actually just about the size of a US quarter around, maybe a little bit bigger.

Ok that was a bit hard to tell :) anyway small chisels might be in order to uncover it and them remove from below like Terry Dactyl suggests. Some of it involves trial and error sometimes.

Thanks, I have had some bad weather here, cold, rainy, and some snow yesterday, so havent been able to try to get any more of the fossils out yet. When weather clears up a little will try to remove them and post my finds. :)

That layer looks like it has a good bit of wood in there. Interesting. As mentioned, expose as much as you can by removing over burden, then cut out under it.