Nebraska Turtle Fossil Restoration - ~Fini!

Texas Fossil Hound

After 2 months of prep and restoration, I have finished the Nebraska Turtle from the Oligocene. Unfortunately, it is missing some of the carapace rim along the back of the shell, but after going from a compressed pile of shell to this, I am very happy with the outcome.

Jon

Fresh out of the cliffside...

post-4709-0-88842700-1351746080_thumb.jpg

Early prep IDed disarticulated shell in the inner matrix.

post-4709-0-73343300-1351746105_thumb.jpg

Before/After

post-4709-0-93022000-1351746126_thumb.jpg

Inside the completed carapace

post-4709-0-14341700-1351746725_thumb.jpg

Finished pics. Alignment with all the pieces is not perfect

post-4709-0-75705900-1351746741_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-92899100-1351746754_thumb.jpg

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

Nice job, haven't put together a turtle before but assembled Indian pottery, will cause severe hair pulling----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Outstanding result! What adhesive did you use?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

That is a fine looking fossil! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

good find, good work!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Wonderful prep and restoration. Your patience and persistance has paid off.

Congratulations!

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

It looks amazing.....Great job..... :fistbump:

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Outstanding result! What adhesive did you use?

To stabilize the fossil when I pulled it out of the cliff I soaked it pretty well in a solution of Elmers Glue and water. When I unwrapped it, I soaked it in water which disolved the Elmers glue solution. I take the fossil in sections and clean them one at a time taking time to glue each tiny piece back together as they break off. I am using cyanoacrylate (Superglue) as my main adhesive, but am looking for alternatives that do not yellow the fossil. Its not bad, but I don't like it when you can see it.

That's really nice work. You can fill in the cracks and restore the edges with 2-part epoxy putty and then texture and paint it to match the fossils.

There are illustrations showing the top and bottom of the Oligocene turtle, Stylemys nebrascensis, on page 155 of "After the Dinosaurs: The Age of Mammals" by Donald Prothero (2006). I assume that's the same turtle you have. The illustrations are reprinted from Joseph Leidy's 1854 work on mammals and turtles from the badlands of Nebraska.

I have a similar project - field prepped Oligocene turtle but it is coated in superglue. A friend was going to get to it eventually but he passed away last year and his widow asked me if I would fix it up for her. I need to finish cleaning the outer surfaces, reset a couple of pieces, and then fill in the missing shell with putty. Some matrix was removed from the front interior. The collector must have been digging into it to see if any bones were present

Jess

After 2 months of prep and restoration, I have finished the Nebraska Turtle from the Oligocene. Unfortunately, it is missing some of the carapace rim along the back of the shell, but after going from a compressed pile of shell to this, I am very happy with the outcome.

Jon

Fresh out of the cliffside...

post-4709-0-88842700-1351746080_thumb.jpg

Early prep IDed disarticulated shell in the inner matrix.

post-4709-0-73343300-1351746105_thumb.jpg

Before/After

post-4709-0-93022000-1351746126_thumb.jpg

Inside the completed carapace

post-4709-0-14341700-1351746725_thumb.jpg

Finished pics. Alignment with all the pieces is not perfect

post-4709-0-75705900-1351746741_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-92899100-1351746754_thumb.jpg

Jon

That is a really beautiful turtle. You certainly were able to piece it back together splendidly! Thanks for updating us!

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Texas Fossil Hound, Thanks for you comment revealing your prep approach. It was just what I wanted to know. Congrats again on a great piece.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks all! The Rhino is in progress!

At the end of November I am picking up my new COMCO suite in LA from a Lawyer that got it and then let it sit until his wife made him sell it. Score!!!

Jon